This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Cannot add a Windows node on additional polling engine

Hi Everyone,

My team's managed to get an additional polling engined installed for our SAM installation. Our central Orion server is hosted on the internet and we've installed an additional polling engine on a private network successfully after allowing inbound traffic over the internet to the Orion server for TCP 17777 and for MSSQL. The additional polling engine is successfully registered on the Orion server.

When adding a Windows node to use the new polling engine we are now met with a DNS error indicating that the polling engine cannot be resolved.

Any ideas please?

Thanks,

Andrew‌ and martinoosthuyzen

pastedImage_0.jpg

• I would start by RDPing to the primary Orion server and doing an NSLOOKUP or ping of the additional polling engine (APE). If you can't resolve the name of the APE from the primary server, then you do, in fact, have a DNS issue that you need to resolve.

• Thanks clubjuggle. I assumed that the APE would work with only TCP traffic open from the APE to the Orion server rather than bi-directional. This makes my scenario more complicated - looks like I'm going to need to investigate use of a VPN.

• The main Orion server needs to be able to talk to the APE as well in order to allow management of the APE itself. In addition, best practice is that the APE shouldn't monitor itself (I monitor all my APEs from the primary server).

If you're setting up Windows machines behind a firewall, you could consider using agents on those machines. If you configure the agents for agent-initiated communication, you only need TCP open one way on one port, in the direction from the monitored system(s) to the Orion poller.

If you prefer to use a poller at the firewalled site, you could also NAT the address of the APE (coupled with an ACL to restrict the traffic appropriately) as an alternative to a VPN.