4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2015 10:15 AM by Craig Norborg

Simple VTP Mode Report

milstateit@mil.wa.gov

Hello everyone,

I am trying to generate a report that will list the VTP mode for each of the switches I select.

The OID I am using is 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.46.1.2.1.1.3

What I have done so far is create a custom poller that uses that OID however it returns a column instead of a single value. So I added a calculated value for SUM since there is only one entry in the column. This effectively returns the number associated with a specific mode 1-client, 2-server, etc... This sort of works for my needs so I tried creating a report that will use the value from this custom poller but I am unable to select this custom poller in my reports.

Another path I was thinking about was executing a script "show vtp status" and having the result of that command put into a report but I don't know how to get the output of the command into a report/file where it can be read outside of the script result box.

I'm not sure if I am making this much more complicated than it needs to be so any suggestions would be appreciated!

• Re: Simple VTP Mode Report
          professionalusername

You can create a web report and use this query for your datasource:

SELECT caption,

custompollername,

currentvalue

FROM   custompollerassignmentview c

JOIN nodes n

ON n.nodeid = c.nodeid

WHERE  custompollername = 'myCustomPollerName'

That should get you what you're looking for.  You can also create a web report with the GUI.  Just add a custom table and during the column addition part select Custom Node Poller from the Orion Object drop down.  Options in there for picking things out.

Matt Hawks

Loop1 Systems

milstateit@mil.wa.gov

When I go to create a report and select "Custom Node Poller" the poller that I have made is not contained within the list. Searching through all columns does not find it either. I have the poller active in Universal Device Poller and can get the data posted on the SolarWinds website through that but I cannot use this poller in a report.

Capture.PNG

As you can see, there are three test devices being polled with this poller.

Capture4.PNG

Here you can see the view in SolarWinds is displaying the values pulled by the poller.

Are there any additional steps that I seem to be missing here to get the poller to show up as a selected source for a column in a report?

professionalusername

You won't see the specific name of your poller in the list but instead a column called 'Unique Name' .  The only downside to selecting Unique name is that it pulls all of the custom pollers.  Use this query as the datasource for your report, it should pull what you need.

SELECT caption,

custompollername,

currentvalue

FROM   custompollerassignmentview c

JOIN nodes n

ON n.nodeid = c.nodeid

WHERE  custompollername = 'managementDomainLocalMode'

Matt Hawks

Loop1 Systems

Craig Norborg

Haven't looked into doing it this way.   Personally I do it as part of my compliance reporting in NCM, quite easy that way!!