12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2015 2:23 PM by patricks

Create report of the 10 highest users

eber123

Hello,

In WHD 12.1.0 it is kind of easy to create a report showing 10x departments which opened the most tickets in the last, lets say, 3 month. I believe this is a very useful report.

I would like to create a similar report of 10x clients which opened the most tickets in the last, again lets say, 3 month. I tried reports and queries, but it is not obvious to me at the moment of how to do this.

I was wondering if somebody already has done this and can point me in the right direction. Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Eberhard

• Re: Create report of the 10 highest users
          madornetto

I would like this too!

apap

I am pretty sure this cannot be done with the built in report writer at this time.    The only place Client shows as a report field is in the asset type report and it won't give you what you need.

I agree, 'Client' would be a useful category for the ticket reports.

You are going to have to jump into the db.

I don't claim to be knowledgeable in sql at all, but this might get you started:

select top 10 client.First_name,client.Last_name, count(*) as total

from job_ticket

join client ON job_ticket.client_id = client.client_id

where report_date > GetDate() - 90

group by  client.last_name, client.first_name

order by total desc

nathanseaton

We use MySQL for the database backend for this very reason. Since the reports in WHD are so lacking, we can just build our own by querying the DB.

eber123

Hello,

thank you for the reply.

I am not so good with MySQL and I don't want to ask colleagues to help me out each time I need a query / report. WHD is a powerful application that, in my opinion, should provide all the standard queries and reports needed in a Service Centre.

I was the opinion that it is a common query to find out who are the highest users by department (possible) and clients /users (not possible). Equally to create a report about assets which caused the most tickets. This information is vital for a proactive organization of a service.

Well, lets live in hope to see if Solarwinds will add these queries / reports into the new version.

Regards,

Eberhard

rodegard

How difficult is it to determine the table and column relationships/keys/etc?  We are using MS SQL and are trying to piece together queries to mimic reports from our old ticket management system that people here still want to see.

eber123

Hello,

It seems that that many users of WHD using SQL queries to get the information needed.

I believe there shouldn't be a need for that. Solarwinds seriously need to re-think the reports and queries. In comparison to other call management software solution what is offered in WHD is not bad, but certainly there is room for improvement.

To get on needed information, be it through reports or queries, there should be no need to access the SQL database directly. WHD should provide all the needed functionality in a user friendly and efficient way. At the end isn't it an important part of a call management software application (especially claiming to be ITIL compatible ((at least to degree)) to provide reports?

Regards,

Eberhard

rodegard

The interface that WHD provides for getting information (reports) is Ok, but the issue is someone has to sign on and run the reports.  In our previous system, about 6-10 reports were produced on a scheduled basis (overnight) for distribution to management and the change board.  I have setup scheduled reports in WHD, but all I can seem to produce is a summary of the number of tickets by a specific category.  What management wants to see is the text in the detail section as well as the most recent tech note.  That can be produced from WHD, but manually (as far as I can tell).

henazo

Solarwinds hasn't put much development into reporting since whd was acquired by them, nor have they devoted much to DB development.  On two occasions over the last two years I had to provide them with the queries needed to fix column and table problems encountered when updating versions.

I use a SQL db and SSRS for better/customized reporting.

patricks

This doesn't exist right now, but it's a great idea!