This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Serv-U Issues since moving to Win 2012R2

Hi wondering if anyone can shed some light on this problem.

I was running Serv-u on a SBS 2008 server fine, clients could log in and their home directory was on a nas box \\companydata\data\1clients.

I have just moved the serv-u to a new Windows 2012 R2 server, copied the right config files across from old sever to new server and it seems to be working fine.

But now when I try to log in using a ftp client I'm getting 550 permissions denied errors, I have started the serv-u service as a user with network rights and the log files are recording:

[02] Sat 18Apr15 11:05:09 - (000007) Error logging in user "Marcus", permission denied by Serv-U access rules to access home dir "\\companydata\data\1clients".

It's driving me nuts as I've tried creating a new domain from scratch and new users, I can get it working fine using local folders on the c:\, also if I create a new folder on the nas \\companydata\test I can log in fine but then it says 550 /initiomdata/test: No such file or directory :-(

Any ideas would be great!

• To restate:

- you changed boxes, and you can't hit a shared directory anymore

- You're using local serv-u users, not db, ldap, or win auth

First question: are you running serv-u as a service?  If so, open up the serivces.msc, and check what identity the service is running as.  Make sure this identity has the proper permissions on the network share.

After that, make sure that the new user you are creating is allowed in their home directory.  You can either explicitly give him the right, or manage through the %HOME% macro:

Creating Serv-U Groups

"Then, you can set the Directory Access rule to the %HOME% macro so that all members have access to their home directory automatically, no matter which user is a member of the group."

• I don't believe Server 2012 R2 is supported.  I initially installed it on that OS and couldn't get any of the NTFS permissions to work at all, and therefore rebuilt it on Server 2008 R2.  It's much happier there.

• Very strange - I run it on 2012 R2 with a network share and it works fine.

It sounds like Serv-U is the part actually blocking access to the user, try changing the Directory Access rules and home directory for the user - Also check the user isnt in a group that is revoking such permission.