This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

New to NPM, problems with emailing reports as PDFs

Hello, brand new here to this site and to the produce, so please bare with me.  I created a report and scheduled it to be emailed each morning to some recipients.  It all works great except when I try to email it as a PDF (using NPM version 11.0.1).  It emails the PDF, but when I open the PDF it is a picture of the SolarWinds login screen, so it's like it's getting hung up on the credentials and doesn't bother to format the report and just hangs at the login screen and that is as far as it gets when creating the PDF.  If I send it as a link to the html report it works fine.  I tried choosing the excel option but the message that is generated in the email is "unable to retrieve url <url> using excel type.  I don't really care about the excel format, I was just trying it as another option.  I tried changing the credentials settings when making changes in the report management console, but that made no difference.  I even went directly to the server itself and went into the web console from there just to try it and got the same results.  Thanks for any help you can provide.

• Do you require HTTPS for your Orion instance? If so, did you update the [dbo].[Websites] to reflect this?

Assuming you want to change your default Website, you use the following SQL statement to enable SSL and set the default port to 443--

USE [OrionDB]

SELECT * FROM Websites;

UPDATE Websites SET SSLEnabled = 1 WHERE WebsiteID = 1;

UPDATE Websites SET Port = 443 WHERE WebsiteID = 1;

Obviously substitute [OrionDB] with your database's name.

• No, we aren’t requiring https.

• Are you using an additional web server or FQDN when accessing Orion?

• No we just have the one server. We believe the problem is the login.aspx form in a server 2012 R2 environment. That form doesn’t work for anyone. You can go to the site, look at reports, export them to PDFs just fine, but if you save them as PDFs in the scheduler, it gets hung up at the login and that is what gets returned in the PDF. The form never completes generation into a PDF, because it gets hung up at the login. We think there is a security setting in 2012 that is preventing it from completing the process.

• I wanted to let you know that my colleague found out what the issue was. He needed to go into IIS (8.5) and enable forms authentication. That resolved it.