This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Upgrading WSUS server to 2012 r2

So we've decided to take the plunge and upgrade our WSUS server to 2012 R2. I just wanted to ask a few questions and if anyone has done this if they ran into any problems that I can try to anticipate. My first question is we have downstream servers that will remain server 2008 is this a concern? Will they still get the updates even though their not running 2012? I couldn't information stating otherwise, but I figured I'd ask. The reason we're upgrading is the server's been giving some issues (snap-in's not opening, not installing certain updates) I figured we're better off starting fresh. This way we could update wsus and patch manager to the latest versions.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

• Its pretty straightforward to do and should be no problem going up to 2012 r2.  When you install SPM you just input the SQL server info and it links back up with your old data.  Downstream servers can be older but cannot be newer so you will be fine there as well.  Just a tip though if you are migrating to a new SQL server there are some problems with the KB document that solarwinds has posted.  If you need the corrected info I can give you that here.

• Thanks for the info to this point! So far we have been able to get our WSUS server up and running fine. Connected to the old database, synced downstream servers, even all of our custom groups were still intact! All is well right? Not exactly..

When we try to install the Patch Manager administration on our WSUS server we receive the following error when choosing to connect to the already existing SQL database "EminentWare": " Couldn't connect to database EminentWare! The database is not an Orion database or configuration is not finished"

Any Ideas. Should we just try to create a new Database instead?

• Have you tried running the configuration wizard again? 

• Actually trying this now! Looks like its working, but we may still need to get permissions from our SQL guy. We shall update if complications occur. Its just odd that the installation package didn't start the same wizard we are not running.

• Just to update this. We did end up having to run the configuration wizard a second time. Then required SQL sysadmin permissions for the DB. At this point it looks like we have ran into the issue of our Primary WSUS server OS not matching out Downstream servers! The primary is on 2012 R2 and Downs are on 2008 R2. We had received instructions from Solarwinds Support team, so we will see where we get from those!