2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2015 2:48 PM by llsd_rc

How to switch from Thin Provisioning to Full Provisioning in VMan?

llsd_rc

I just upgrade from v6.1.x to the latest v6.2.x. The console is now showing "Datastore Overallocation" which it's variables are tied to storage being Thin Provisioned. Our HP StoreVirtual (aka LeftHand) is not using thin...its using Full Provisioning which effectively eliminates the ability to overcommit on space in our storage.

Questions is: Is there a way to re-configure VMan for a Full Provisioned storage model?

• Re: How to switch from Thin Provisioning to Full Provisioning in VMan?
          chrispaap

Ryan

What VMAN looks at is the hypervisor thin provisioning and not the storage hardware thin provisioning. I'm not familiar with the HP StoreVirtual but does it's settings take precedence over how VMWare is configured?  Virtualization manager is only going to know what the VMware API is telling it.

• Re: How to switch from Thin Provisioning to Full Provisioning in VMan?
            llsd_rc

Apologies Chris, I should have specified. We're a Hyper-V 2012 shop, no VMware. I know a majority of VMan's capabilities are only applicable to VMware and not Hyper-V because it's more established and the API is more broad and available. I do not use Solarwinds Storage Manager since the HP StoreVirtual console does the same thing very well so I just use VMan to report stats on the Hyper-V and VM performance and such. I wonder why v6.1.x saw no issues with our Hypervisors in regards to datastore overallocation but v6.2.x does. We're severely under-provisioned so I feel like this is a false positive.