3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2015 3:55 AM by silverbacksays

Average Bits/Second Not Displaying

2marshall8

I manage a group of Cisco routers and some of them can display this information just fine and others can't. I've matched their snmp config settings as well so I'm not sure why this data won't populate. Also is there a way to specify the interfaces you want displayed within this graph? It seems to automatically choose them and often times it's the loopbacks or async ports which have very little bandwidth concerns. I've gone to this knowledge base page and verified that none of these conditions are occurring: SolarWinds Knowledge Base :: Data is not available on web console charts

Image 2015-04-06 at 10.34.04 AM.png

Here's what we are running:

Orion Platform 2014.2.1, SAM 6.1.1, QoE 1.0, IPAM 4.3, NCM 7.3.2, NPM 11.0.1, NTA 4.1.0, UDT 3.2.0, IVIM 1.10.0, VNQM 4.2 © 1995-2014 SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

thanks

• Re: Average Bits/Second Not Displaying
          silverbacksays

Hey,

Are other aspects of the SNMP data getting polled back? Can you see CPU/Memory usage and so on? First thing to check is a SNMP walk to one of the problem devices to from it's assigned poller to confirm SNMP is working. While the configuration setup may be the same, it's possible that your SNMP packets are being blocked somewhere for these devices.

One tip, with your version of NPM, you can set SolarWinds to track availability (and response times) via SNMP, rather than ICMP by changing the radio button under 'Status & Response Time' under 'list resources':

SNMP_Avail_and_Response.JPG

If you do find that your device is failing SNMP, applying this change to your remaining devices will help you pick up on devices which are failing their SNMP polls earlier, as they'll be marked as down.

2marshall8

thanks for your reply. I realized that after I made the post I should have clarified things more. I am seeing data populate the graphs but for the graph labeled Average Bits/Second it always shows the loopback address which carries almost zero traffic. I want to be able to choose the interfaces that are displayed in this graph. Can this be done? I see there are checkboxes but no where to specify the interfaces I want to display within this graph. Here's the graph I'm talking about.

Image 2015-04-13 at 4.29.45 PM.png

thanks

silverbacksays

Aha, OK then. As you can see from that graph you can simply deselect the loopback interface and it's associated trend lines, thereby only showing you the stats for the other interfaces (or simply deselect them all bar the one you're interested in).

If you're looking for a graph which can be used in a report, you can create a report with a 'Multiple Object Chart' resource in it, then edit the settings to 'interfaces' and then add in only the interface(s) you're looking for. Once this report is created, you can link it to a view etc.

Other than that, by default Orion will show all interfaces which are currently added in as monitored resources for a given node. The only other way to specify what you'll see in the graph on the node details page is to only monitor the interfaces you're interested in:

1. Go to Manage Nodes, and select one of the devices
                  2. On the Node Details page, click 'list reasources' (you need to have 'manage nodes' permissions to do this).
                  3. Select the interfaces you want to monitor and see information for on your graphs and click 'submit'.
                  4. Repeat this for the other devices.

Note that any interfaces you un-tick will no longer be monitored or have data collected for them, but you will see historical information for them (and they will appear on graphs). You'll need to delete the unwanted interfaces from Orion to remove them completely.

When you add a node to SolarWinds, by default it will select every responding interface available at the time of initial discovery. Be mindful of this if you're only interested in specific ones, otherwise you'll have the mother of all clean up jobs later on

(I speak from experience here lol)

Hope that helps.