This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

LEM Alerts - Save to a file?

I have an alert set up in LEM to alert IT if a folder on a certain server is deleted or moved.  Members of management want to be notified when this happens as well, and don't have access to LEM.  We're not giving them access to LEM for this 1 alert.  The alert contains HIPAA information so it can't be e-mailed, and as far as I know we can't configure LEM to send alerts through Microsoft Lync as instant messages.  The only other option I can think of is saving the alert as a text file to the HIPAA server.  Management have access to that server so they can just open the file and to see who was the person that moved/deleted it.  Is there anyway to do this? I saw the action "Append to file" but can't get it to work with the information needed to be in the file.  Your help is appreciated!

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

Yeah, "Append to Text File" only lets you save a single field (I think we have a feature request to append to text more fields or something like a template). I think if you use "send popup message" it gets recorded in the event viewer, but similarly it's restricted to one field or static text.

The only option other than email I can think of is an SNMP trap. Maybe configure a simple SNMP trap service on the same server and set it to log the event to a file, then use LEM to send the event as a trap?

Totally sounds like overkill, but lighter weight than email, I suppose...

• I appreciate your thinking outside the box for me, but this would be overkill to send a UserID and File Name out. If I could get Lync somehow integrated that would be even better! I guess we have to sit back and wait for Solarwinds to implement some newer notification integration features.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to shanegibeault

Alas, since LEM can't execute a script action, that's not an option yet either, but that would probably be another way... I found some references to being able to send a Lync message as a script.

There also exist email-to-IM gateways but that seems like the same kind of overkill emoticons_wink.png