This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Are you using other Asset Management / Inventory solutions with WHD?

WHD allows you to track assets and apart having native WMI discovery also integrates with various asset management solutions and provides generic integration.

1. What other products you are using besides WHD for asset management?
  2. Were you the one who chose and purchased those other tools?
  3. Are there problems you would like WHD to solve rather than these other tools?

Looking forward to hear from you,

Peter

1. We use Lansweeper - it seemed to provide the most features in the least amount of cost.
    2. I chose and implemented it
    3. Personally, the asset management in WHD is sufficient for small businesses, but isn't quite feature-heavy enough to replace something like Lansweeper.  I personally prefer having a separate application, even though its implementation in WHD is lacking.
  • FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

1. We also user Lansweeper

2. I chose & tested it, but did not purchase or implement it...

3. Yes, for us the WIM tool is extremely broken, nothing but jibberish, duplicates, missing assets, you name it. I was and still am very disappointed in it. And in support/dev basically telling me that it's my fault. Lansweeper has caused no such issues using it with WHD, but WHD's WMI tool is trash to me.

• Thanks Matt!

Have you been looking also on other solutions than Lansweeper?

What was most important for you when deciding for a solution?

What is #1 thing which is missing in WHD and Lansweeper does provide it? Also is there anything in Lansweeper integration missing for you?

• Thanks for honest feedback Mike! Definitely something we will need to look at. So I guess Lansweeper is your primary source of assets?

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to peter.kruty

Yep. Has robust reporting, monitoring, deployment, even run scripts for users. What a tool!! For stuff it can't find or scan (ipads) we use the import tool in WHD, then manually link them to users...

FWIW they are working on a help desk beta this year... depending on where that goes or how that goes we might make a switch to them, based on the strength of the asset monitoring tool.

• We use SCCM 2007 and are already in the planning stages of migrating to SCCM 2012 R2. in addition we use HP Web JetAdmin 10.3 for network printers and Apple Remote desktop for our Macs.

Was involved in the SCCM 2007 decision, it is so full featured you are not just getting hardware info it pulls installed software, images, pushes software based on user/group/machine log in ect.  Web JetAdmin I chose mainly because most of our network printers are HP's and the tool is free.

No I do not think WHD should move into these areas as long as the integration can be made fairly tight let these other company's that are experts in their equipment do the heavy lifting then just read from their db's with some tight tested data pulls.

I would like to see WHD add Web JetAdmin as a supported tool to pull data from if they think enough people would use it.

• We also use HP WebJet Admin,  and ConfigMGR 2012. I am surprised that WHD lacks the ability to pull assets from AD.

• Curious what assets are you attempting to pull from AD other than users?

• ‌I'm surprised, does no one else use spiceworks for inventory/asset management?

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to emoore1

I used it before, I wouldn't use it again unless we couldn't afford to use anything else.