This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Custom SQL Query, Filter List, Based On 2 Different Custom Poller Field Values

We have around 5k volume elements being monitored on one of our polling engines, which is roughly 50% of the currently elements being monitored on that polling engine.

We do not currently need to be monitoring these volumes, and, as many people may already know, removing volumes in bulk is not as easy as it should be, yet.

Due to an anomaly with a specific firmware version, all devices containing that version (7.3_20.0) no longer show the volumes when listing resources for those devices.

I have a way to list all of the devices that are currently polling volumes.

And, I have a way to list the firmware for all of the devices.

I need a way to list all of the devices that are currently polling volumes, AND DO NOT have firmware version 7.3 20.0.

Here is what I have:

I had previously found the following SQL query here, thanks to ThwackNation, and it most definitely serves its purpose very well.

SELECT *

FROM

(

SELECT n.NodeID, n.Caption, n.IP_Address, cs.RowID, cs.Status

FROM CustomPollerStatus cs JOIN CustomPollerAssignment ca ON (cs.CustomPollerAssignmentID=ca.CustomPollerAssignmentID)

JOIN CustomPollerS cp ON (ca.CustomPollerID=cp.CustomPollerID)

JOIN Nodes n on (ca.NodeID=n.NodeID)

WHERE cp.UniqueName='Occam_Firmware_Version'  -- use your custom poller name

AND n.Vendor LIKE '%occam%'

/*AND n.Caption='node_name'*/ )  --here you can specify the node

AS SourceTable

PIVOT

(

MAX(Status)

FOR RowID IN ([9.0],[13.0]) -- change the numbers if your polled RowIDs have different values

) AS PivotTable

ORDER BY '9.0', '13.0', 'Caption' ASC

The query above provides us a nice list of the firmware versions for our devices.

(These devices breakdown their firmware versions into 2 parts, and then store those 2 parts in an odd location, which is why we must use custom pollers, and poll 2 separate fields.)

Our custom poller pulls the table that contains the different parts of the firmware.

RowID 9.0 is the Software part of the version.

RowID 13.0 is the Revision part.

Both of these, together, give us what we need. (It sure would be great if they would just give us the entire firmware version, and put it where everyone else does...)

npm_maintenance_page_occam_firmware_list-000.PNG

I made the following SQL query to show me a list of all the nodes that are currently polling volumes/storage.

SELECT DISTINCT t1.[NodeID],t1.[IP_Address],t1.[Caption]

FROM [SWNPMDB].[dbo].[Nodes] as t1

JOIN [SWNPMDB].[dbo].[Volumes] as t2

ON t1.[NodeID]=t2.[NodeID]

WHERE t1.Testing<>'TRUE'

ORDER BY t1.[Caption] ASC

So, on the page, my team sees this list, and can easily list resources for each node by clicking the question mark.

npm_maintenance_page_nodes_with_volumes-000.PNG

Now, for the problem I am running into, it seems we have discovered a firmware version that actually removes the volumes from being able to be polled.

As it turns out, most of these devices were added to our NPM before being upgraded to their current version.

The previous version they were on allowed the volumes to be polled, and we had them added to the poller.

The firmware for those devices was later upgraded, removing the ability to see the volumes when listing resources.

However, we are still able to see the volumes that are currently added, and they are still gathering data and being polled normally. (Not really sure how this is working, but that can be another adventure I can take at another time)

So, the query above shows the list of nodes with volumes being polled, with no relationship to the different firmware versions.

What I need, is to, in a way, take both of these queries, and combine them.

I need 2 different queries:

1. I need to be able to list all of the devices that currently have volumes being polled, AND DO NOT have SOFTWARE(RowID 9.0)=7.3  AND  REVISION(RowID 13.0)=20.0.
  2. And then I need the opposite, which is a list of ONLY the devices that DO have SOFTWARE(RowID 9.0)=7.3  AND  REVISION(RowID 13.0)=20.0  AND  currently have volumes being polled.

After hours of fumbling around, I have come to the following conclusion...

I do not yet possess the skill required to figure this one out, so I need the assistance of ThwackNation to save my day.

Thank you,

-Will

• why not define both of your queries as CTE's and then do a JOIN on IP Address? Do you get a crazy result?

• dhanson

To put this as simple, and blunt, as possible...

I'm a big, stupid, dumb-dumb-head... emoticons_cry.png

I have about as much SQL knowledge in my head, as my little girl has in her diaper... emoticons_confused.png

I do my best to learn what I can, unfortunately, my best is simply not good enough.

Can you provide a bit more detail, and/or perhaps an example?

I am fairly decent at taking pieces of something and altering it to work for our needs, so if you could just provide even a super simplistic example, and can take it from there and try.

In the meantime, I will read up on "defining queries as CTE's", and see what I can learn.

Thank you,

-Will

• So a CTE is a "Common Table Expression", which I typically use when I can isolate specific information from a large table and use it in the context of a different query. In the example below, "WITH a AS (query)" is defining a CTE from the results of your specific queries.

So let's look at it from your angle: you have 2 queries that have shared objects...both have "Caption" (the device hostname) and "IP_Address" (Device IP's). With these, we can do a JOIN.

So now the problem becomes "how is SQL going to mash this stuff together?"

Because of the likelihood that this is going to produce a Cartesian product (basically a row for every possible combination of results) this could get messy and may require some tweaking on your part, but I'll at least help you get started. =)

WITH a AS

(

SELECT * 

FROM 

SELECT n.NodeID, n.Caption, n.IP_Address, cs.RowID, cs.Status 

FROM CustomPollerStatus cs JOIN CustomPollerAssignment ca ON (cs.CustomPollerAssignmentID=ca.CustomPollerAssignmentID) 

JOIN CustomPollerS cp ON (ca.CustomPollerID=cp.CustomPollerID) 

JOIN Nodes n on (ca.NodeID=n.NodeID) 

WHERE cp.UniqueName='Occam_Firmware_Version'  -- use your custom poller name 

AND n.Vendor LIKE '%occam%' 

/*AND n.Caption='node_name'*/ )  --here you can specify the node 

AS SourceTable 

PIVOT 

MAX(Status) 

FOR RowID IN ([9.0],[13.0]) -- change the numbers if your polled RowIDs have different values 

) AS PivotTable 

ORDER BY '9.0', '13.0', 'Caption' ASC

)

b AS

(

SELECT DISTINCT t1.[NodeID],t1.[IP_Address],t1.[Caption] 

FROM [SWNPMDB].[dbo].[Nodes] as t1 

JOIN [SWNPMDB].[dbo].[Volumes] as t2 

ON t1.[NodeID]=t2.[NodeID] 

WHERE t1.Testing<>'TRUE' 

ORDER BY t1.[Caption] ASC

)

SELECT a.*

FROM a, b

WHERE a.IP_Address = b.IP_Address

-- So this final query should pull all the results from a where there is a shared attribute (IP_Address) between the two.

I'm sure you can tweak and play with this to where it needs to be.

HTH!

• Almost forgot: if this doesn't work out of the package, make the CTE queries (your two queries) add "TOP 1000" or some other extremely high value to your SELECT statements, and it should work.

• dhanson

Thank you very much for the information provided.

I have only spent a small amount of time working through your suggestion, so far, however, I have not had much success yet.

At first, the query failed, as you stated it might.  So, I made the recommended changes, and I was able to get the query to process, although, with 0 rows as the result.

I will continue to work through this, and report back my results.

Thank you, again, for your assistance.

-Will

• I'd play with the final query as much as you can. Since I don't have anything similar (nor can I set up something similar) in my environment, it's difficult for me to diagnose what could be going wrong with the query. I really wish I could, because this sounds like a fun request. =/

I'd start with:

1. simply selecting all the results from your queries using "SELECT * FROM a" and "SELECT * FROM b" to make sure that the two CTE's are returning the tables you want.

2. Work with the select statement to see if you can get at least a Cartesian product from the two CTE's joined. Something like what I posted above, but you can do something like..."SELECT * FROM a,b" to make sure you can combine all the results.

3. Play with WHERE attributes to narrow down the results you really want, and work on JOIN's to flex it into the results you need.

REMEMBER: you should no longer be working out of your original tables, as now you're dealing with "a" and "b".

Also, since your request was two queries, the "WHERE" statements you add to the end result should be used to filter on the software/revision you want.

• dhanson

I have not forgotten about this, however, I have had a few family emergencies to deal with over the past week, and have not touched this since my previous reply.

I am working on some upgrades right now, but afterwards, I will jump back into this and, of course, report back with my findings.

Thanks again for you help.

-Will

• Well, dhanson‌, I think I finally accomplished my goal here...

I took your advice, the query example you provided, a bunch of time, and a ton of research... and I was able to come up with the following.

--[SWNPMDB].[dbo].[CustomPollers]

--     [UniqueName]

--          entitySoftwareRev

--          entitySoftwareRevExt

WITH a AS

(

SELECT nd.[NodeID],nd.[Caption],nd.[IP_Address],cps.[RowID],cps.[Status]

FROM [SWNPMDB].[dbo].[CustomPollerStatus] cps

JOIN [SWNPMDB].[dbo].[CustomPollerAssignment] cpa

ON (cps.CustomPollerAssignmentID=cpa.CustomPollerAssignmentID)

JOIN [SWNPMDB].[dbo].[CustomPollers] cp

ON (cpa.CustomPollerID=cp.CustomPollerID)

JOIN [SWNPMDB].[dbo].[NodesData] nd

ON (cpa.NodeID=nd.NodeID)

JOIN [SWNPMDB].[dbo].[NodesCustomProperties] ncp

ON nd.[NodeID]=ncp.[NodeID]

WHERE cp.[UniqueName]='entitySoftwareRev'

)

b AS

(

SELECT nd.[NodeID],nd.[Caption],nd.[IP_Address],cps.[RowID],cps.[Status]

FROM [SWNPMDB].[dbo].[CustomPollerStatus] cps

JOIN [SWNPMDB].[dbo].[CustomPollerAssignment] cpa

JOIN [SWNPMDB].[dbo].[CustomPollers] cp

ON (cpa.CustomPollerID=cp.CustomPollerID)

JOIN [SWNPMDB].[dbo].[NodesData] nd

JOIN [SWNPMDB].[dbo].[NodesCustomProperties] ncp

WHERE cp.[UniqueName]='entitySoftwareRevExt'

)

c AS

(

SELECT DISTINCT nd.[NodeID],nd.[IP_Address],nd.[Caption]

FROM [SWNPMDB].[dbo].[NodesData] AS nd

JOIN [SWNPMDB].[dbo].[Volumes] AS v

ON nd.[NodeID]=v.[NodeID]

JOIN [SWNPMDB].[dbo].[NodesCustomProperties] AS ncp

JOIN [SWNPMDB].[dbo].[CustomPollerAssignment] AS cpa

JOIN [SWNPMDB].[dbo].[CustomPollerStatus] AS cps

)

--SELECT a.[Caption],a.[IP_Address],a.[Status] as Firmware,b.[Status] as Rev

SELECT a.[Caption],a.[IP_Address], (CASE WHEN (a.[Status]='7.3') AND (b.[Status]='20.0') THEN 'SKIP' ELSE ((a.[Status] +'_'+ b.[Status])) END) as Firmware

FROM a,b,c

WHERE a.[NodeID]=b.[NodeID]

AND a.[NodeID]=c.[NodeID]

-- AND ((a.[Status]='7.3') AND (b.[Status]<>'20.0'))

ORDER BY Firmware ASC

I ended up just going with 2 completely separate UnDPs, each pulling a piece of the data I needed. (Instead of pulling the whole table, and then filtering out the data I did not need, as I had previously done)

I am now able to adjust this query to meet my needs.

I am not sure, as to the efficiency of this query, however, I feel it is perfectly fine for me, as it provides the data I need.

Thank you very much for your assistance with this task.

-Will