6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2015 3:08 PM by prawij

Dependencies not active

lowcloud32

Hi solarwinds community,

I'm new to the network monitor and I need some help with alerts and dependencies. I have the following dependencies set up:

The Network Monitor is installed on a server connected to 10.0.0.199

10.0.0.199 is the parent to 10.0.1.51

10.0.1.51 is the parent to 10.0.1.52 and 10.0.1.30

10.0.1.30 is the parent to 10.0.1.31 and 10.0.1.32 which are in a group

10.0.0.121 and 10.0.0.124 are not monitored.

As I understand it, when node 10.0.1.51 goes down, I should get an alert telling me that it is down and 10.0.1.30, 10.0.1.52, and the group with 10.0.1.31 and 10.0.1.32 should be marked as unreachable and I should not get an alert for them, but I do. The only alert trigger in my Node is down alert is node status is = down. In the event log I will see 10.0.1.52, 10.0.1.30, 10.0.1.31, and 10.0.1.32 all go down and alert as down.

• Re: Dependencies not active
          mharvey

There are different types of events generated by SolarWinds.  It may still show the device is down, if it is detected prior to the dependancy check and prior to the parent device if the child device so happens to poll sooner.  One practice I have used is having the parents set to a faster poll time than the child objects.  As well, SolarWinds will write an event for any changes to polled devices which are different than events/notifications generated by alerts.  Within your node down alert, what actions to you have configured?  Are you getting notifications with that text in it, or a system event stating a device has stopped responding.

lowcloud32

I only have the default node is down alert that with be action being to write to the event log.

Trigger Action: NetPerfMon Event Log : Node ${NodeName} is ${Status}.

I'll change all the polling times on my nodes to see if that helps.

Thanks

prawij

One thing that has changed in NPM 11.5 versus NPM 10.x is that the dependency cannot be part of the group it affects, it must be outside it.

Do you have 10.0.1.51 as the dependency for the group which includes 10.0.1.52 and 10.0.1.30?

And then 10.0.1.30 as the dependency for the group which includes 10.0.1.31 and .32?

lowcloud32

10.0.1.52 and 10.0.1.30 are not in a group while 10.0.1.31 and .32 are in a group. Should I have two separate dependencies for .31 and .32 with .30 being the parent on both? Should dependencies not be used with groups at all?

mharvey

Groups can still be useful for dependencies, and I don't think that is the issue you are dealing with.  Looking back at this again, I think I figured out the issue.  if 10.0.1.51 goes down, then it's children go unreachable.  However, when a parent goes unreachable, in this case 10.0.1.30 I don't believe the dependencies are set up by SolarWinds in a way to change the children of the unreachable parent into an unreachable state.  You'd also have to make the group that contains .31 and .32 a child of .51. 

prawij

I think your plan should work, once you have 52 and 30 in another group. The dependency will cause any of the groups dependent on it to go into an unreachable status (and not page out).

First you need to define all the groups that you don't want alerting on based on the parent.

So create a group for 52 and 30

Then you have the second group with 31 and 32

Then you go to Manage Dependencies, and place the node that you want upstream of the group (that will alert) as the parent of the group (which will be the child).

So set 10.0.1.51 as the parent to the group with 52 and 30

Then set 10.0.1.30 as the parent to the group with .31 and .32