3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2015 3:03 AM by silverbacksays

Nodes groups and alerts etc

arani

Hi All,

Another query on NPM. I have created a group which includes all nodes under a specific network address. I have allocated certain users to view only these nodes (by using account limitations).

Now if I create any reports or views, alerts etc, all related to nodes within this group, would users allowed to view these nodes, will have visibility of those reports, views etc.

Looking forward to any response

Regards

• Re: Nodes groups and alerts etc
          silverbacksays

With reports, if you use the scheduler to send them via email as PDF's, they are view only by nature and the recipient will only be able to view what is in the report itself. If the report is published to the web console, the users who have permissions to view that report would be able to click on any of the nodes listed in the report and view the information on them, but their own view/account limitations will still apply so you don't need to worry about people seeing things they cannot in that way.

Hope that answers your question

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              arani

Hi silverbacksays

Thanks for the response. That allays some of my original fears about creating groups!!!

On the topic of views, what you are saying is that users will only see views that are applied to those specific nodes.

Regards

silverbacksays

No problem Arani, happy to help!

The way it works is a user is assigned a view. The view will only display nodes which match the restrictions that both the view AND the user account has been assigned.

With regards to setting up accounts, the way I look at it is this:

Before you create a user, think about what they need to see, then create a specific view that reflect this, only adding in the minimum resources required (you can always add more later if needed). Add in any group restrictions you need to the view. At the same time think about the menu options the user needs to see, as you may need to create a custom menu bar to restrict things further.

Once this is done, go ahead and create the user account. Assign the default view to the view you created first, and then add in any more specific restrictions, such as a specific customer name, if you're using the customer name as a custom property against your nodes (which is common). Assign the relevant permissions and menu bars.

When you're happy with this, test the view yourself before giving it out