This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Possible to monitor disk space remaining?

I'm currently using EventSentry to alert me if drives on Windows 2008/2012 virtual machines are running below 5% available space. Can I use LEM to replace EventSentry?

• It is possible to make Windows log a disk space alert which LEM can then normalize ( I haven't checked this for Windows 2012)

Window 2003 and 2008 including R2: You will have to create 2 DWORDs. DiskSpaceThreshold and LowDiskSpaceMinimum. These DWORDs do not exist by default, and will require a reboot to take effect.

DiskSpaceThreshold refers to the free space threshold (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc786996(v=ws.10).aspx)

LowDiskSpaceMinimum refers to the threshold in MB below which the alert (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc784049(v=ws.10).aspx)

Both conditions will be evaluated unless LowDiskSpaceMinimum is set to 0. They DWORDs must be added under this registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

\SYSTEM

\CurrentControlSet

\Services

\LanmanServer

\Parameters

• The disk space is checked every 5 minutes and an Event ID 2013 is generated in the System log if the conditions are met
    • The Event is not generated multiple times if the free space continues to fall. A fresh event is generated only when the condition is remediated, and the thresholds are breached again

In LEM, the Event will appear as a ServiceWarning event with a ProviderSID of srv 2013.

What else do you currently monitor in EventSentry?

• In addition to monitoring for low disk space I'm using it to monitor failed logins and the basic set of alerts that come with EventSentry. I'm hoping to eliminate EventSentry when I get LEM setup.

Thanks for the post!