This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Is There ANY Trap Alert Variables To Reference Properties Of The Trap Alert Itself

Hi Guys,

I am a bit confused as I could not find any variables for Trap Alerts which would reference trap alert itself, such as ${TrapID}, ${TrapName}, etc. Is there anything like that out there?

What I want is to be able to display information in the trap alert by using SQL macro, for example:

Conceptual example:

Trap Name: ${SQL:SELECT RuleName FROM SolarWinds.dbo.TrapRules WHERE TrapRuleID = ${TrapID}}

• Hi Alex,

What is it that you're tying to alert on? Is it whenever a specific trap type arrives? By the sounds of it you might be trying to short cut the way SolarWinds deal with traps. A trap arrives and SolarWinds handles that trap and raises alerts/events based on rules specified. I'm not sure if you can interrogate the traps themselves, at least from within SolarWinds.

You might be able to do something from within SQL at the DB level with the raw data, I suppose. That'd be something for the SQL/SWQL gurus out there emoticons_happy.png

• Well, I don't know how "traping" works, but if we were to put it into Advance Alerting perspective - there I have ${AlertName} variable for example, which I am including into body of the email to highlight which rule has triggered an email alert

• Note : This is all via the Trap Viewer -> VIEW -> Alerts/Filter Rules ..        

Trap Detail Patterns that I find useful;

*cefcModuleStatusChange*  - If you know your values you can watch this change and tell what sort of event is going on.

*Module*, *CRIT*   - provides a little more of the same

*Inline Power Module timeout*

*attack*

*tcpConnectionClose*

You can also setup traps you need on certain boxes, and filter on other items like the Community String, or DNS Hostname - I am figuring you have naming standards. Use some of those flags with the appropriately placed wild cards.

• cahunt

how do you output the name of the trap rule itself into the alert massage body?

Capture.JPG

• i don't know that a variable exists for that.  You may just have to manually type it into the message your are sending from the rule.

• Copy the name and paste it into the Body... unfortunately I see no variable to parse that into your Message Body to create a straight Cut and Paste option to add this to all your traps.

I do sort of the same thing now with our Advanced Alerts - Each one has an ID and we just take the # in sequence. It makes it easy to match up to which alert fired.

• Unfortunately cut-&-paste is not an option - it is not scalable, it is a dirty workaround and there is no way to ensure consistency. Besides, this is just tip of the iceberg of what I want to implement and without this tip there is no iceberg...

With Advanced Alerts I use the following in footer:

This alert was generated by "${AlertName}" rule which has been triggered at ${AlertTriggerTime}
  • The advanced alerts makes that easy, unless you have similar names.

It's just a simple flag for your to track in case you forget your setup and need a reference. How many trap rules are you setting up that this is not scalable?

• I want entire SNMP message for every SNMP alert to be built dynamically (TO, CC, FROM, BODY, etc) regardless of the quantity. Consistency is important. I do this for Advanced Alerts at the moment... however with SNMP Traps it is a different story...

BTW, I have learned to copy-paste a while ago and I certainly can manually type in the message body field as well. however, this is not what I am asking here

Thank you,

Alex

• As far as SNMP trap rules and messages go, I don't think there is a variable you can enter in as you would with the Advanced Alerts.  They aren't designed with the same functionality.  You could try ${TrapRule.RuleName} but I doubt there's a variable logic within the program that would translate it.