5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2015 7:03 AM by bleearg13

Advanced Alert Macros

bleearg13

I'm running into a problem where my Advanced Alert macros are not working.  I have a newly created alert for Group Members and I'm trying to send an email as a trigger and include important information in the email.  When trying to specify various properties about the Node, I'm getting the "${property}" in the emails rather than the actual value.  I've tried specifying the properties as "${Nodes.property}" and that doesn't work like it does for other types of alerts.

• Re: Advanced Alert Macros
          bleearg13

I found this:

https://thwack.solarwinds.com/message/225594#225594

Is this really the case?  Node properties are not available as macros/variables from within a Group alert? 

bleearg13

Ugh.  I was afraid of that.  Thanks.

RichardLetts

here is an example; NOTE!!! all of this should be on one line; I've formatted it for clarity.

the inner sub-query gets the columns you want from the database

the outer query flattens it into a single value that the Alert manager is expecting.

check ${groupid}  -- should be whatever value has the current groupid that the alert action is being triggered on.

${SQL:SELECT a.sector +':' + a.nodename + ', ' AS [text()]

FROM   (

SELECT     c1.NAME AS nodename,

n1.sector

FROM       containermembersnapshots C1

INNER JOIN nodes N1

ON         c1.entityid=n1.nodeid

AND        c1.status=2

AND        c1.entitytype='Orion.Nodes'

WHERE      c1.containerid=${groupid} ) a FOR xml path('')

}

bleearg13

Thanks, but I think I'm going to forego this option, but I do appreciate the help.  I really think that this is something that should just work.  I shouldn't have to go out of my way just to be able to do something that I can do in every other type of alert without a problem.