This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Can NCM do bare metal restorations?

I'm rather new to the Network Configuration Manager piece, but have it installed on my Orion server and it has backed up the configuration of the network gear we have. Though, we had a incident to where we had to replace one of our cisco switches and the engineer used a old copy of a config he had stored on his system as apposed to using NCM. I wanted to find out if NCM has a process to do complete restores to a new switches or how others are using NCM to configure new/replacement network gear. Do others just do a cut and paste from NCM to the console of the device? Are there scripts for this type of restoration?

• I'm no NCM expert, but I believe you'll have to do a few things manually on the replacement switch to 1) get it on the network and 2) setup credentials for NCM.  After NCM access is restored, you should be able to go to the switch node details page, configs tab, and find the Upload Config widget.  I'd upload the last config backup and check the boxes to write to NVRAM and reboot.

Haven't had to restore a switch yet, personally, but that's how I'd try it.

• Thanks dthvt. That was what I was thinking as well but wanted to find out if anyone else was doing it differently. I found out that by turning off the line numbers in NCM that you can copy and past the entire config into your terminal emulator. However depending on how large the config is and your terminal emulator, the config may get mangled up in the pasting process by the emulator. Most of the time it works but sometimes, rare however, the emulator did not handle the pasting of the config properly. What I think might work better (if the device is not reachable via the network) is to copy and past the config into a text file then transfer the file to the device via a usb connection or other means, such as copy USB0:textfile.txt startup-config or copy USB0:testfile.txt running-config. Make any adjustment, save the config and reboot the device so it loads at startup . This would entail the device to be next to you but, afterward you can hand it off to someone to install the prep'd device. Or just do it on site with the config on a usb stick. Still a lot of options and I wanted to see how others handle a scenario like this. Thanks again for your input.