5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2016 11:47 AM by tdanner

Unable to connect to SWIS using SWQL Studio

jwade

I've added a custom SWQL widget to one of my application views and I'd like to return the value of the script argument for the application's only component. However, I'm getting the error "Error: A query to the SolarWinds Information Service failed." no matter what query I use. For example, 'SELECT Caption FROM Nodes' results in that the same error. I'm also unable to connect up with SWQL Studio using any of the authentication methods with various error messages.

Examples:

Orion v3 :"An error occurred when verifying security for the message."

Orion V3 AD: "The server has rejected the client credentials." (Note that I have tried running SWQL with known-good credentials on the primary poller, referencing localhost)

I have confirmed that SWIS v3 is running on this server and I have already tried restarting that service to no avail. 

Does anyone have a diagnostic procedure that I can reference to determine why SWIS is rejecting my logon?

NPM 10.7, SDK 1.10.16

• Re: Unable to connect to SWIS using SWQL Studio
          tdanner

"SELECT Caption FROM Nodes" should be "SELECT Caption FROM Orion.Nodes"  - that will probably work from the website.

When you use the "Orion v3 AD" server type in SWQL Studio, you are connecting using the current Windows logon token. If the account you are logged into Windows with doesn't have access to Orion, then this won't work either.

I don't know what's going wrong with the Orion v3 server type. There are a few possible causes for that error, but nothing else in your post points to one of them. Try looking in the two relevant log files for more information: one the machine where you are running SWQL Studio, look in C:\ProgramData\SolarWinds\Logs\SwqlStudio.log; on the Orion server, look in C:\ProgramData\SolarWinds\InformationService\v3.0\Orion.InformationService.log.