This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Migrating from Netflow v5 to v9. Concerned about doubled traffic.

Hellow everyone.

I want to move from v5 to v9, but I'm not sure about the ingress\egress configuration. I got Netflow running on a central router only and it only has one interface as an export source. My corrent configuration is "ip flow ingress" on both LAN and WAN interfaces. What I want to do after v9 is turned on is to enable "ip flow ingress" and "ip flow egress" both on LAN and WAN interfaces. I'm concerned that it will make the amout of traffic double. Can anyone shed some light on that?

• If your device has only a WAN and LAN interface, its enough to enable ingress or egress on both the interfaces, or enable ingress and egress on any one of the interface - say the WAN. If you enable ingress and egress on both the interfaces, it can result in traffic double count.

And can you tell us why are you looking to enable ingress and egress on both the interfaces?

• Thank you for the reply, I've already figured out that it might not be a good idea) So yea, I'm gonna stick with the both ingress and egress on one interface. Thanks for the confirmation anyway)

• igatrinit‌,

donthomas‌ is correct, you will double your traffic. Here's a sample configuration to get you started on v9:

flow exporter NTAexp

destination <NTA server IP>

source <interface with the IP NPM is using to monitor the device>

output-features

transport udp 2055

!        

!        

flow record NTArec

description IPv4 monitor

match ipv4 tos

match ipv4 protocol

match ipv4 source address

match ipv4 destination address

match transport source-port

match transport destination-port

match interface input

collect routing source as

collect routing destination as

collect routing source as peer

collect routing destination as peer

collect routing next-hop address ipv4 bgp

collect interface output

collect flow direction

collect counter bytes

collect counter packets

!        

!        

flow monitor NTAmon

exporter NTAexp

cache timeout inactive 60

cache timeout active 60

record netflow-original

!

interface <WAN or LAN interface>

ip flow monitor NTAmon input

ip flow monitor NTAmon output

ip flow ingress

ip flow egress

Enjoy!

D

• I've noticed there is no data for the Top XX Autonomous System Number Conversations. Is there a portion of the configuration necessary to collect this information or is the Basic NTA configuration adequate?

• In this configuration example you configure a custom flow record named "NTArec", but then don't use it.  The flow Monitor is using record "netflow-original" which is just a Cisco built-in netflow v5 like record.