This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

process I/O versus disk I/O in process explorer

Hi Guys,

I have been using process explorer for quite some time and I want to be enlightened about this two parameters, the process I/O and disk I/O.

I have noticed in our SQL server that process I/O and disk I/O are both present (I/O delta write and Disk delta write have values):

sql-io.png

While in pollers (and I think same with web servers) only process I/O is present (I/O delta read and write):

poller-io.png

In my perspective, the process I/O of the poller is very busy but it doesn't mean that the disk I/O is exhausted too since there is no value in disk delta writes/reads making the poller not disk intensive?

I am doing this test because I am choosing which application to be migrated to hyper-v which uses SSD's (our 3 additonal pollers, or 3 web servers)

The current disk setup of the pollers and web servers is 2 15k HDDs RAID0(stripping) per server

While the hyper-v server has 2 SSDs (Intel DC S7300) RAID0 (stripping)

Don't bother with the disk failure because they are enrolled in IBM Tivoli Storage Manager.