This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Error with Reports Manager

Ok, I've been bashing my head on this problem for a few days now and I'm calling in for reinforcements!

Just joined a new organization using LEM, and I'm happily learning all it can do. However I cannot get the Reports Manager application to run on my desktop system (Windows 7, 32-bit). Three other team members can use it just fine, I've checked and verified my settings against theirs over and over again and I can't spot anything wrong.

The issue is that when I attempt to generate a report the application reports a Logon failure.

To clarify - not all users are logged in at the same time. Typically I am the only one connecting. I've confirmed nobody else is logging in when I attempt. After my test fails I've seen one of them log in without any problem on their own desktop system.

I've done a lot of searching on Reports Manager errors on this site so let me list everything that I've already done:

• Confirmed that Reports version (6.1.0.2) and LEM version (6.1.0) match
  • Re-downloaded the software from this site, to ensure I have the proper versions
  • I've uninstalled Reports, rebooted (to ensure the system was clean) and re-installed using the "Run As Admin" option
  • I've uninstalled Crystal Reports Runtime (v11), rebooted and re-installed using the "Run As Admin" option
  • I've created and tested multiple users on the LEM appliance. Right now I'm testing against three accounts - the built-in Admin account, my Domain account, and a LEM User account. All three are configured as LEM Administrators. I can login to the web client with all three accounts so I know the accounts work and the passwords are accurate.
  • The proper LEM certificate is loaded in the application. I manually exported the cert and loaded it into my system.
  • I have run the application in my normal user context as well as in the "Run as admin" context. No difference.

In the Report application I successfully test the connections for Primary Data Source, Syslog Server and Managers - Credential and Certificates. Yet every time I try to run a report it gives me the logon error.

Also, after it fails the application acts like it is querying the database (progress bar in the lower right corner) but never comes up with anything. Unfortunately this locks up the application and I have to close the app, which causes a Windows error report that it didn't close correctly. This happened prior and after the application re-installation.

I'm attaching the SWLEMReports.txt file as well as a few screenshots to back me up. Please note the weird database errors in the log file.

Any ideas? Thanks!

attachments.zip
  • Do you have the Microsoft Telnet Client feature enabled on your station?  Can you try opening a command prompt and running:

TELNET SOLARWINDS-LEM 9001

You should get something back like this:

HSQLDB JDBC Network Listener.

Use JDBC driver with Network Compatibility Version2

.1.0.0 and a JDBC URL like jdbc:hsqldb:hsql://hostname...

Connection to host lost.

Does that work?

• Confirmed, my telnet output looks exactly as predicted. Output copy is below:

HSQLDB JDBC Network Listener.

Use JDBC driver with Network Compatibility Version2

.1.0.0 and a JDBC URL like jdbc:hsqldb:hsql://hostname...

Connection to host lost.

• I know you've already nuked Reports and paved, but...

Can you uninstall Reports, nuke the install directory if it gets left behind, and then reinstall with the "Run as Admin" and let me know if that works?

Has someone run the RESTRICTREPORTS command on the LEM, maybe?  You may need to have them run the UNRESTRICTREPORTS and try again.

• I'll try a re-nuke and directory delete this afternoon. I was kicking myself that I didn't think to verify the directory removal last time prior to re-install.

I considered the RESTRICTREPORTS command - I asked around to see if they had configured this and the answer was negative (LEM has only been installed for about 6 months so it's a recent addition). Also their documentation of the installation process/procedure doesn't show them configuring RESTRICTREPORTS. I wish there was a way to view if anything was set there (Hmm, maybe that should be a feature request) and I'm hesitant to make any changes without being able to see what may be potentially set there. Making that change is kind of an absolute last step if nothing else works out.

I'll report back after the re-nuke.

• Support could root in and see if the changes made by "RESTRICTREPORTS" are present in the LEM config.

You can also see the config yourself.  Under MANAGER run VIEWSYSINFO.  The last screen of data (keep hitting spacebar!) will show the firewall ACLs:

---------------------------------

Network access configuration:

*filter

:INPUT ACCEPT

:OUTPUT ACCEPT

-A INPUT -s 0/0 -d SWI-LEM/32 -p tcp -m multiport --destination-ports 4803 -j REJECT

-A INPUT -s 0/0 -d SWI-LEM/32 -p udp -m multiport --destination-ports 4803 -j REJECT

-A INPUT -s 0/0 -d SWI-LEM/32 -p udp -m multiport --destination-ports 4804 -j REJECT

-A INPUT -s 127.0.0.1/32 -p tcp -m multiport --destination-ports 10101:10102 -j ACCEPT

-A INPUT -s 10.254.10.12/30 -p tcp -m multiport --destination-ports 10101:10102 -j ACCEPT

-A INPUT -s 10.254.10.16/30 -p tcp -m multiport --destination-ports 10101:10102 -j ACCEPT

-A INPUT -p tcp -m multiport --destination-ports 10101:10102 -j REJECT

-A INPUT -s 0/0 -d SWI-LEM/32 -p tcp -m multiport --destination-ports smtp -j REJECT

-A INPUT ! -d 127.0.0.1 -p tcp --dport 5432 -j REJECT

COMMIT

*nat

:PREROUTING ACCEPT

:POSTROUTING ACCEPT

-A PREROUTING -p tcp -m tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT --to-ports 8080

COMMIT

You'd see some line mentioning dport 9001 and REJECT if RESTRICTREPORTS had been run.  Mine doesn't have that, so it's not enforced on my system atm.  You'd also see a bunch of dport 9001 and ACCEPTs, one for each allowed reports client.

• Nice to know it is possible the RESTRICTREPORTS can be viewed, the other knowledgebase article (I will have to dig it up) made it sound like it was impossible to do that.

It doesn't look like we are restricting dport 9001. Here is my output:

---------------------------------

Network access configuration:

*filter

:INPUT ACCEPT

-A INPUT -s 0/0 -d SolarWinds-LEM/32 -p tcp -m multiport --destination-ports smtp -j REJECT

-A INPUT -s 0/0 -d SolarWinds-LEM/32 -p tcp -m multiport --destination-ports 4803 -j REJECT

-A INPUT -s 0/0 -d SolarWinds-LEM/32 -p udp -m multiport --destination-ports 4803 -j REJECT

-A INPUT -s 0/0 -d SolarWinds-LEM/32 -p udp -m multiport --destination-ports 4804 -j REJECT

-A INPUT -s 127.0.0.1/32 -p tcp -m multiport --destination-ports 10101:10102 -j  ACCEPT

-A INPUT -s 10.254.10.12/30 -p tcp -m multiport --destination-ports 10101:10102  -j ACCEPT

-A INPUT -s 10.254.10.16/30 -p tcp -m multiport --destination-ports 10101:10102  -j ACCEPT

-A INPUT -p tcp -m multiport --destination-ports 10101:10102 -j REJECT

-A INPUT ! -d 127.0.0.1 -p tcp --dport 5432 -j REJECT

COMMIT

*nat

:PREROUTING ACCEPT

:POSTROUTING ACCEPT

-A PREROUTING -p tcp -m tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT --to-ports 8080

-A PREROUTING -p tcp -m tcp --dport 443 -j REDIRECT --to-ports 8443

:

COMMIT

Update - one of my other colleagues is now also unable to run Reports with the same error I am getting (successfully used it last week). So it's another piece of the puzzle. I have another colleague who doesn't do anything with LEM, I'm going to install Reports on his system and try access with my LEM logins to see what happens. Since his system is "clean" it would provide a good comparison.

Great information and help here, thanks a lot - I really appreciate it!

• Okay, we have some progress and change here....

As requested I uninstalled the Reports app. Then I rebooted my system and went into C:\Program Files\ and deleted the "SolarWinds Log and Event Manager Reports" directory. I then re-installed the Reports app using the "Run As Administrator" option.

The first time I ran the app, just to be safe, I also did a "Run As Administrator" on the shortcut. It probably wasn't necessary but I figured it couldn't hurt.

I entered the Data Source and used the Admin username and password. Then I attempted to run a report (limited query on 24 hours of data to keep it simple). I DID NOT GET AN ERROR. However, the application just sat there with the progress bar moving back and forth for 15 minutes. After that length of time I finally closed the application out. (See attached picture reports1.png)

Then I realized that I never attached the Certificate in the Manager Configuration. So I went back, attached the cert and started the same report query. Now I get a new error: Login failed. Error Code: -2147189176

(See attached picture reports2.png)

I tried all three of my LEM accounts and none were successful.

Then I remembered I needed to add the /L in order to capture a log file, so I went back, configured that and tested again. This time I got my original error of "Logon failed." (See attached picture reports3.png)

Then the application crashed and generated a Windows error  (see reports4.png).

...and now I think I'm going to call it a weekend and get back to it on Monday. :-)

I've attached the screenshots and the newest log file.

attachments.zip
  • Folks I had the Same problem it was fixed by me changing Yes Changing AD password, its either too long or my password contained a " speech mark once I changed my password to something simple  I was able to login and run reports.

Not sure why this should happen since i can login using my AD via the webportal no problem is there a fix for this?

Paul

• Interesting. Sadly I won't be able to test this and confirm/deny because my workplace enforces a very strict password complexity rule in the AD environment. However, one of the user accounts I have been testing is a LEM user account (non-AD) and it uses a simple password. It gets the exact same error and symptoms. But that still doesn't rule out your theory on the AD password....

Thanks for the input. Still bashing my head on this. emoticons_grin.png

• Hi raingeek....

I've Also been banging my head against the wall all day on this today 6 installs and reviewing group policies and Firewall settings, its been for me a result of the AD account password and the one I enter in the Reporting module....

it might well be something to do with password length, I had a repeatable password ie my Password says is   passwordpassword   in AD...then if I enter the details within the report module as just "password" I can run the reports no problem which is even odder ( if there is such a word!)

I have been playing around with different passwords my repeatable password is 18 Characters in total, you just might want to give that a try, if that's any help :-)

Paul