This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SRM 6.0 and SRM Profiler Install

I am evaluating the new SRM and SRM Profiler software and want to integrate them so they share the eval license.  I was previously evaluating the STM and they came out with the new version so I uninstalled STM.  When I attempted to install the SRM it seemed to go as planned, but then I went back to install the profiler, and found you can't deactivate an evaluation license to integrate them.  I am going to get a new licence key and try again, but can anyone tell me the correct order to install?  Should I have the profiler installed first and then install SRM?  I want to be able to use the one license key from install since I can't do the deactivate in license manager.

Thanks!

• Hi sankeyj,

If you are in an Eval scenario, there are no keys to manage (at least that you control anyway). You can integrate the two pieces of software via the following steps:

1. Login to Web console of SRM Orion
    2. Navigate to "Settings" in upper right corner
    3. Click "SRM Settings" in "Product Specific Settings"
    4. Under "License Summary" section, click on "Manage SRM Profiler Module Integration"

Let me know if you have further questions.

• Thanks, that helped me to get both products into the web console.  Now my problem is the Storage Main Console within the Web Console does not provide the ability to add storage devices.  It's mearly a view only product.  If I access the Storage Server via the web directly, it would allow all the management capability, but since I previously had a evaluation product whose license has since expired, it still displays the expired license, not the new "shared" license.  The main reason we have to have both products is because we are heavy into IBM, of which SW does little monitoring.  In order for us to monitor all of our products, we have to have both.  I think the server is caching the old info from the previous install and is not updating it's key. 

• Further investigation reveals the standalone Storage Manager now gives me the option to reclaim the SRM Orion Module license.  This makes me think I can't have both.  If I reclaim the license, then it will no longer pull the information within the web console.  It seems at that point I am no longer integrated and sharing a license...am I understanding this correctly?

• Hi sankeyj,

Let's take a step back - What do you want to accomplish? If it's integration between the two platforms - my prior answer guides you how to do that.

If you need more discussion about how shared licensing works between the products, I recommend this blog post: Dreams Come True - Storage on Orion is now in Release Candidate!

The "Reclaim Licenses" option is irrelevant to your specific situation. What it allows you to do is reclaim disks held by SRM Orion in case for some reason SRM Orion went "belly up" and you couldn't decommission the devices on that side through normal means - for example, if somebody decommissioned the Orion VM without telling the storage team.

• The Evaluation License Expiration you are experiencing is expected behavior. The Eval key does not "reset" on uninstall - it's a feature of the Eval license so that folks can't perpetually use evaluation copies. You'll need to contact sales@solarwinds.com to get an extension key for your evaluation.

• I need the functionality that the Storage Profiler (storage main console) gives me and want the capability to manage it in the web console.  The SRM Orion Module does not support all the products we monitor, so I have to also load the SRM Profiler Module.  When I install both products, I can view the Storage Main Console (Profiler) in the web console, but I can't manage it.  Yes, I completely understand how the evaluation licenses work and I have already had my license extended.  Believe me I have been in constant contact with my SW rep. reguarding this issue.

I wanted to integrate the two products to be able to use a single license as well as to display the main console in the web console.  I was trying to reclaim the license as directed in the install guide for SRM.

"NOTE:  If you choose to integrate the SRM Profiler Module with the SRM Orioin Module, the license must be shared between the two applications and the license must be applied to the SRM Profiler Module.  If the license is currently applied to the SRM Orion Module, you must use this procedure to reclaim the license before applying it ot the SRM Profiler Module."

• Hi Jan,

The "Note" you've quoted does not apply to the Eval license key. If you're Eval has run out, you'll need to apply an Eval extension key to SRM Profiler side post integration.

If you want to add devices to SRM Profiler, you simply need to open up the SRM Profiler Web Console directly. Usually http://<yourSRMProfilerIPADDRESS>:9000

• So are you saying I can't use a single evaluation license for the SRM Profiler and the SRM module , or I can't integrate with an evaluation license?   When I try to use the profiler web console directly it still displays the expired date of the previous license and of course won't let me do anything with it.   You're saying I need a second license key for the profiler?

When I attempted to point it to the license key I received from SW, it just tells me it doesn't belong to that machine.  (which I later realized the machineid changes every time you run the license manager to activate the license.) The only time I can get the standalone version to update to the new date is if that is the only thing I have installed.  That's why I was originally asking if I should install one before the other in order to get them to function.

• Hi Jan,

First, I'm sorry that you're having so much trouble. Let's take this step by step:

So are you saying I can't use a single evaluation license for the SRM Profiler and the SRM module , or I can't integrate with an evaluation license?  

dsbalcau - Each module contains it's own Eval license. Integrating while in Eval is supported.

When I try to use the profiler web console directly it still displays the expired date of the previous license and of course won't let me do anything with it.  

dsbalcau‌ - This is expected behavior when you have an expired Evaluation license. This is likely because the license doesn't get reset when you uninstall/reinstall. You need a new extension key and you need to apply that extension key on the Profiler side.

You're saying I need a second license key for the profiler?

dsbalcau‌ - No, you need one key and you need to apply it on the Profiler side. If you've already applied it to the Orion side by accident, ask Sales for another key.