This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

AppStack Environment and unmanaged Virtual servers

So I have noticed that on the environment page of Appstack that it is showing nodes not added from my VMWare farm. We have a ton of VM and many servers that are intentionally not added as nodes. Currently this is skewing the view. I would like to see the AppStack only display those nodes that have been formally added and not include those excluded.

Len

• This is a tough one since you cannot filter on boolean values from what I can tell. However all valid nodes will be nodes or hosts or vcenters so I tested it over at http://systems.demo.solarwinds.com/Orion/ and this filter seems to work for me to filter out the  3 non-node guests. 

How about for you?

Screen Shot 2015-03-03 at 5.15.09 PM.png

• Yes, that filters out most of the nodes that haven't been added yet, but it also filters out a whole bunch of other stuff for me. I appreciate the attempt though. emoticons_happy.png

I still go back to the original issue which is why it's being included at all. I realize that it is being gathered from the polling of the VCenter servers, but it should be filtered out on this display until the node is actually added. We have a whole VDI setup and this skews things a bit. Not to mention we have servers/systems that our IT group isn't responsible for managing but exists as VMs for our business units to manage themselves. This is why we don't add them as nodes.

• If you have no interest of desire in ever managing those VMs within Orion then I would recommend filtering them out completely from monitoring. This can be done by creating a user account in vCenter for monitoring that does not have access to the VMs you don't wish to monitor. When you use that account in Orion to monitor your virtual infrastructure, those VMs you don't care to see are hidden from view.

• ‌sorry it did not work for you but it's working fine for me- maybe just add another filter to bring back your other objects?

remember that the filters are additive in Appstack so if you add another filter for say engineid or external node so all remaining nodes show up but not vim discovered nodes. if you were missing something other then nodes the same process applies. 

• The only problem with this logic is that the VMs are all over the place. My VCenter account needs to be sitting at the top level in order for me to see servers that are deployed globally. As servers are spun up and down I need to be able to add and remove them as needed. This approach wouldn't work.

I just fail to understand why AppStack view is designed to display nodes that technically don't even exist in the NPM database. The better logic would be to only display nodes/volumes/etc that have been formally added. This just adds noise to the system.

• I think what lfransen‌ is getting at here is a way to filter out things that are not managed within Orion already.

It makes sense on one level for appstack but it's also conflicting on another. Couldn't this be fixed/integrated in some way by interfacing with data from IVIM?

Creating an account that can't see these VM's is an idea, but doesn't really fit in when the VM environment is not 100% static day to day.    

Created a feature request for this:

• Where did you find that menu option please? I have the same problem and want to see if this resolves the issue for me.

• ‌It's not a menu option but a filter on your AppStack view. That said there is an unofficial way to behind the scenes filter which VM's show up in appstack. I'd stick with the filter for now.