9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2015 10:18 AM by irishjd

Adding Cisco AP's to NPM

irishjd

This is probably a crazy question, but here it goes. How do I add my Cisco wireless access points to NPM? They do not have IP addresses as they are being managed by a Cisco 5508 WLC. I have enabled the generic "Alert me when a Rogue Access Point is detected" alert, and the alert is firing on all of my AP's:

"Wireless Controller Avn5250-C108-5508 detects 183 Rogue Access Points."

Thus, there has to be a way to list my valid AP's as non-rouge.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated,

Jon

• Re: Adding Cisco AP's to NPM
          pngtech

This isn't an answer, but another question.  I have several 5508s in use and all of my APs actually have IP addresses.  Is this not normal?  I have the NPM notifying me when they reach a certain number of clients, and it monitors for when they should go down.  I have also created a report that tells me the highest number of connections for the current month.

Anyway, how would they be configured so as not to get an IP address, and why would I want that?

mharvey

Thin APs should still have IPs, just no management ability with SNMP.   You should still be able to add the AP as an ICMP only node to measure if it's up or down.  The rogue detection isn't due to NPM not monitoring it though.  That  alert triggers based on the information pulled back from the WLC, so it would be as if the WLC is seeing those APs as rogue.

kentk94

I agree with the others, they should definitely have an IP.  We have about 100 light weight access points and all of them have an IP.  (granted we are also on a WLC 4400)  but I can't imagine how they wouldn't have an IP associated with them. 

As Mharvey stated, I run an ICMP only add when I add them to Node Management.

irishjd

Well, there is just no cure for a short between the seat and the keyboard! They all do have IP addresses, I just couldn't see them via the WLC page. When I went into the Prime page, I was able to get a list of them all, including their IP addresses. As far as the AP's being reported as rogue, is there a way to go into the WLC or Prime, and define them as not rogue? I don't do much with the wireless here, so I really don't know much about their configuration. I'll try to round-up one of the wireless guys to see if they can help me with this as well.

Thanks,

Jon

pngtech

I have two 5508s and two 4402s with about 200 lightweight APs and none of them are showing as a rouge.  I just enabled SNMP on the WLCs and they started showing up in the wireless section.

I added them as a node so that I could see them when they go down.  My 1252s are horrible when it comes to recovering from a power outage, or even just restarting the switch they are connected to.  Anyway, the WLC only keeps track of the ones that are currently connected, it doesn't show them in a "down" status when they have issues. So I use the Orion console to keep track of which ones have died on any given day.  The rouges I see are student phones running as an AP or WiFi from the neighborhood.

John Handberg

Yes, there is a way to classify an AP detected as a rogue.  As an example, our college campus has a Cisco course that uses an AP in the coursework.  I can go in and classify it.  First find it in the list of rogues.

Then click the drop down like I have below.  You can select how to classify the rogue.  In the case of the classroom training AP, I can select Set State to "Friendy - Internal" so I won't get alerts on it.  I could do the same with a neighboring business and classify theirs as Friendly - External if I wish.