This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

group nodes/applications together into a service status

Hi,

We want to create a very simple view within NPM that displays the RAG status of 1 or more services based on a group of nodes for each service and/or application statuses on nodes within that group.

The idea is that we would have, say 4 squares in this view which would represent 4 critical services. If any node within each service goes down (or has another issue which we could determine affected the service status) then that services square would go Amber or Red (depending on the severity of the issue).

We've had nodes grouped in multiple maps to get something like this at present but what I'm looking to achieve now is that when any node goes amber or red then the 'service' object (the square in this example) would be affected (A bit like when creating groups I guess).

Does anyone know if this is possible and if so, how best to achieve this?

Many thanks in advance!

D

• I've done this off and on for the last few years. I think the first place to start would be building groups for your services- even if just manually adding the nodes and/or apps at first. The idea is to get the service group icon to indicate the RAG status you expect. It's a combination of which objects are primary in the group(vs child objects) and how the group is set to report (best , worst, mixed).

1. I would imagine adding the nodes only and seeing if an app is down are you ok with the mixed amber results or do you want to also add the app as a group member to get a red alert?

2. After this logic is worked out then build out your groups with dynamic queries so nodes/apps/etc are added dynamically. (I have only node ones for custom property begins with which as worked flawlessly.

3. Create a map with big objects likes squares (or import your own gifs) to represent each service group and become your dashboard.

4. Might even suggest building a custom SWQL dashboard for this as then underneath of group squares you can enumerate the group status description which will provide context to the RAG status.

I've already built all of this so tell me your service group names and I'll make a copy so you can see a mock up

• Thanks for the info...I guess then once I have the groups created I would just need to assign the groups to sections of the map which relate to the service being reported on?  Also, do you suggest creating custom icons for this to assign to the group? (Assuming this can be done as you would a node etc.).

The main services we're looking at initially would be something like:

Email

Intranet

Payroll

Finance

Many thanks!

• ‌You have it.

I used to pick the NetworkAtlas big scalable squares and size them up so they just lined up like a row. Associate each with a group, save the map, and pick it from the map resource in Orion. Worked for years.

That said, while the group membership is dynamic the list of groups on your map is not. To make it more sustainable I think I would take a new approach here and try to use AppStack.

Just put an AppStack resource on your summary page

Click the edit button to rename it someone useful change the settings to hide categories not used and show names for down objects.

Click the open in AppStack link at the very bottom of it.

Filter by group name, select the groups you want to show and save layout,(top right corner menu)

Now back in your summary page you should see just the groups you want, it takes a while to get used to since the only ones with names will be the warning or critical ones. Adding new groups is as easy as opening again to edit filter and save.

If maps are too much and AppStack to little then I know a SWQL query which might be juuuust right. emoticons_happy.png

• Thanks that's just what I've been after. now have a 'brick wall' of green (at present anyway) with RAG status alerts for each service with drill down details available....many thanks for your help!