This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

how to automatically assign a device to a client

Hello,

I know you can manually attach a client to a device, but is there a way to do it automatically through an import that I may be overlooking? We would like to avoid having to do it manually if we can.

Mike

• You should be able to do this with the import templates.

Setup -> Data Import -> Import Assets

Download the template and populate then import.  Client and asset information are contained in the template.

Andrew

• Thank you, Andrew! We also sync with SCCM, will doing this import break anything or would it just append the client field with the username I add?

• Here is what I have noticed ( we sync with Lansweeper ).

The template upload overwrites and the sync will append.  ( there might be an option that determines this but I am not sure )

I.E. 

1.  We made an initial asset sync with Lansweeper

2. We updated assets with a template data import, this overwrote the Lansweeper data, only on the fields that were being updated in the template.

3. On the next Lansweeper sync, the Lansweeper data appended it's data that was removed by the data import to the data from the data import.

I think you need to test ( try a data import on just one asset )  and look/note  the WHD options carefully.

Also consider updating the attribute mappings you set in WHD with your SCCM sync, that could be helpful during an import or sync depending on what your goals are.

Also note that when you download templates you get a slightly different template based on the client key you select ( username or email ).