This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Instances are listed in License Management that are not registered

How do I remove instances that show up on the License Management screen that are not registered?  They used to be registered under Ingite but were dropped years ago, but still show up in License Management.  I have unchecked them in License Management, so they no  longer are counted in license counts, but would like to remove them from License Management entirely.  That's so one of my colleagues who doesn't know they no longer exist within DPA, doesn't go check those boxes again.

• If you go to options, there should be a tab for Monitor Setup and a button for Unregister. Click on that and follow the wizard through.  That should remove all traces of the instance you unregister.

• Mandevil, thanks for the response but that does not work in this case.  These instances are listed in License Management but are not registered, so when I go to the Unregister page they are not listed and there is nothing for me to do on that page.  What you suggested would work well with a currently registered instance, but these instances were somehow unregistered years ago and never dropped from the license list.  How do I get them off the list in License Management?

I have a feeling that there is a table (or two or more tables) in the repository I need to alter to make them go away.  Or maybe an encrypted file system file that I can't touch cause it has to do with licensing.  Those are my best guesses.

One of the instances no longer exists, but two of them do exist on our system.  So if I were to register them and THEN do the unregister thing you suggested, maybe they will then exit the License Management page.  I may try this workaround.

• Do this, "select id, name from COND" in the repo.  Look for tables in the schema for the ones you want to remove that end in the ID pulled from COND.

An example would be I get "12, PROD-123\NODE1" as output from the select against COND.  I'd go look for any tables with an %_12.

If they don't exist, the objects have been cleaned up and I could then just delete from COND where id = 12.

CAUTION:  only remove if the corresponding tables don't exist!

That should remove them from the UI.

• I tried to register one of the existing servers and the error message is This database instance is already registered in this Repository

So at one level, the instance is registered, but at the level where I need to unregister it, it is not registered/not on the list of instances that I can unregister.

This is getting pretty complicated if that means I need to delete a bunch of tables and records in the repository to be able to register the instance again just so I can test if this workaround will work.  So I am not going to pursue this angle any more unless Solarwinds techs are sure it will work and can tell me exactly which tables and records to delete.

• Agreed, since this is getting pretty involved, you probably want to open a support ticket.

• Hello and thanks again for your quick response.  I did as requested -

select id, name from ignite.COND 

/* found that one of the instances had an ID of 26 in the COND table. */

SELECT * FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLES WHERE TABLE_NAME LIKE '%_26'

/* this found 64 tables with table_name like _26. */

So before I go crazy and delete a bunch of tables and the COND record, plz verify that I need to drop all 64 tables and then delete the one COND record for the instance.

• If you are SURE you don't want any data related to that instance, then yes, you can do it manually.

1. select id, name from cond order by name; -- find the entry for this
    database and get the ID

2. Take a backup of the repo just in case.  8 )

3. delete from cond where id = <the id from above>;

4. Drop all tables that end with the ID

• I created a Solarwinds ticket and working with the tech support dude we did this process and it worked.  My tech support rep was very helpful.

One important warning, however!  Looking for tables with names like '%_26' found all the right tables PLUS 4 tables for _226 !!  Don't delete those!  I believe that is because the underscore is a wildcard in SQL Server, not a literal.

• Great warning! I'd have done the same thing you did!