3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2016 2:47 PM by Ralphr

Asset Inventory - Missing applications?

hthit

Hi,

We use the Asset Inventory quite extensively across various departments to ensure that we don't get any rogue software installed on their Windows systems. Unfortunately some of these areas need Adin rights to their PC for certain applications to work.

We have discovered that we have a variance of Internet Explorer out their from IE8 thru IE11 and want to standardise on one version.

I was hoping to use the Asset Inventory and associated reports to determine how wide-spread the issue is but it doesn't seem to be able to report on IE.

It discovers everything else, including every Java version know to man but no IE version.

Anyone got an explanation or work-around for this.

Many Thanks

Mark

• Re: Asset Inventory - Missing applications?
          jaminsql

Is the polling method WMI? We get better data via WMI. I think the issue here is that IE has a separate WMI counter from where we are polling the data. If you see this thread https://thwack.solarwinds.com/message/218321#218321

aLTeReGo says that we get this data from " hrSWInstalled "1.3.6.1.2.1.25.6" OID from the HOST-RESOURCES-V2-MIB which should list all applications installed, provided those applications properly update the 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall' registry key."

Looking on my install I don't see a value here for IE.

I did find another way you may be able to get this data here is a link to a powershell script that fetches this from another registry key. Script Get the Internet Explorer Version for multiple Computers-HTML Report

Ralphr

We are missing a lot of server applications under "Software Inventory" , a prime example is that for my primary Solarwinds server not a single Solarwinds  module is reported.  Yet if you RDP to that server and go to Control Panel -> Uninstall a Program  I see more than 20 different entries for Solarwinds products complete with Publisher, Install Date and Version.  My assumption is that it's very likely that that Windows page is also built from the registry entries seen in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall.  This isn't just a Solarwinds server app problem that was just an example, my Oracle servers don't show Oracle software as being installed.   Any ideas on what else could be causing this ?

aLTeReGo

Internet Explorer is not an application, and as such is not listed in Add/Remove Programs in Windows. Each version of IE is tracked by Microsoft as a hotfix that can be reported in SAM's Asset Inventory under "Operating System Updates Applied" as shown below.

OS Updates Asset Inventory.png

Clicking on KB2841134 in the "Operating System Updates Applied takes you here -> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=133041

1 of 1 people found this helpful