This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Windows share mount error

I am unable to mount windows shares for the purpose of updating or backups/archiving. I receive the following error: mount error(13) : permission denied. I have tried using local admin accounts as well as domain accounts. Share & NTFS permissions are correct, as I can reach the share from other windows systems. The share is also simple: \\host\lem

Is there any setting in the console that we can check? Some event log that may give more detailed error description? Is it possible to get to the "root" linux command prompt and attempt to mount the share manually?

TIA

steve

• Steve,

I have the same issue where my LEM appliance (virtual machine) is unable to mount windows shares when trying to upgrade through the console (same error 13).  If you contact SW support they can provide your root credentials and once under root you can try manually mounting the share.  I was finally able to get mine to manually mount using the below command:

mount.cifs //host/LEM /mnt/share -o username=someuser,sec=ntlmssp

I used a local account and had to specify the security mode to "NTLMSSP" which overrides the default of NTLM that cifs-utils version 4.5 uses (which is what my LEM appliance has installed).

Once I was able to mount the share SW support provided me with a work around to modify the upgrade script and copy the TriGeo+Upgrade directories to the cdrom mount location and then I successfully upgraded through the console choosing the CD option.  It would be nice to have more customization options for the Upgrade portion of the console.

• Thanks for the info. I have my root password, but still having issues(mount error 95), probably with my syntax. I'll keep trying...

steve

• I've solved the original mount error, it was related to share name/folder structure. Now when configuring backup I get a new error - mount error (5): input/output error

Any ideas?

TIA

• I did some Googling, and the suggestion I found for the error resolution is using the IP address instead of the hostname of the server.  Are you using a hostname in the backup commands?

• thanks, I've tried IP as well...still trying....

• Have you tried a different server to confirm it's not a server issue?

• Tired both LEM servers, same error using hostname or IP:

Mount failed for //x.x.x.x/LEM as user username 2015/03/02 09:41:31: I got an error, so I'm going to exit. Details: mount error(5): Input/output error

We created a cifs/smb share on our Netapp. They are shared with everyone full control. I've added a specific user with full control,

• Out of curiosity, does creating a share on a Windows server and directing the LEM there work?

Has the NetApp share ever worked?

• nope... was getting mount error(13) on windows shares...

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to droidsteve

Do you see anything in the event logs/audit logs on the share side? A successful or failed logon?

Input/Output error is interesting - that's more like trouble reading or writing to the share. The old error(13) combines everything from "this user can't access this share" to "trouble communicating with this protocol" (super helpful, unfortunately).