6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2015 4:02 PM by bluefunelemental

Top xx Capacity Problems not expanding page variables like ${caption}

bluefunelemental

We have pages where neither view nor account limitations will suffice - it seems this new resource does not expand page variables unless I am doing something wrong?

Nodes.Caption Like '${caption}'

or

Nodes.NodeID = ${nodeid}

or

Nodes.CustomProperties.System LIKE '${caption}%'

• Re: Top xx Capacity Problems not expanding page variables like ${caption}
          aLTeReGo

It sounds like you're trying to place the Top XX capacity problems resource on the Node Details view. The "Node Resource Capacity Forecast" and "Volume Capacity Forecast" resources are designed for this purpose.

capacity forcasting.png

bluefunelemental

Using those - trying to put the top xx on a group summary page.

Still showing all top xx across everything

aLTeReGo

Groups have no association to nodes, since groups can contain any object type including WPM transactions, SAM Component Monitors, even other groups. As such you cannot use the ${caption} or ${nodeid} macros on a group details view since those macros are specific to a given node.

Jan Pelousek

Could I ask you about more details to the requirement?

The requirement is to put the resource to Group Summary or group details?

• If you are placing the resource to the Groups Summary, which is page without context of object, so there's no way, how to resolve your macros in the filter (you don't know which group do you mean).
                    • Second thing is, that the resource filters aren't designed for macros usage, so the filter can be just static (constant), not variable per object.
                    • If you would wish to put it on the groups details, it's currently not implemented as the filter would be quite complicated (as aLTeReGo stated, there doesn't exist any simple mechanism to establish the relation between group membership and Nodes)

On summary pages there can also be used the Custom Object Resource, which allows you to put the Details resource on Summary pages after specification of the object for this resource, but it's static as well.

H.

bluefunelemental

Group detail pages are incredibly powerful so I don't have to hand-make 1000 custom summary pages. If this is not the intended use of group pages then it should be. 

Therefore I put out-of-box resources or custom SWQL  using variables on the group page so one page template can be used for anyone's created groups.

This absolutely works as I use it now except where you make resources which are not expanding page variables :-(

Since my groups are created by dynamic queries based on a nodes' custom property I simply use the filter like nodes.customproperties.groupname = '${caption} or similar. This expands the group page caption (name) and also matches the nodes custom property which is what it's group membership is - all good in the hood. In fact it's similar to the using maps named ${caption} on that page.

So there is some inconsistency where some resource filters do take page variables and others do not and yet the way I have implemented it a simple node filter and expanding of the page vairbvale would suffice and allow me to use this resource once for the group details page and yet show in context info for each page - is that not a good use case?