3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2015 10:59 AM by aLTeReGo

SAM 6.2 RC2 - Exchange Configuration for Application Monitoring

deny

Questions

1. Is letting SAM 6.2 RC2 make configuration changes to an Exchange Server within a Database Availability Group supported?  Does the same apply for a High Availability Cluster?
      2. Does installing the SAM Agent on Exchange bypass the need to setup WinRM?  Since the communication happens with the Agent?

Reference - http://www.solarwinds.com/documentation/en/flarehelp/sam/default.htm#samagappinsightforexchangemanuallyconfigureexchange…

exchange-configuration-screen.PNG

• Re: SAM 6.2 RC2 - Exchange Configuration for Application Monitoring
          aLTeReGo

The "Configure Server" button is primarily a pre-flight check, but also configures WInRM on the Exchange server if it is not already. When the agent is installed on the Exchange host WinRM is not needed and not configured when the "Configure Server" button is pressed. The permissions and credentials validation process is still run though to ensure that everything will work properly when AppInsight for Exchange is used.

deny

Thanks Alter,

Could you help me to clarify this one more time?  I just want to make sure changes are manually performed and it doesn't jump ahead and make changes without warning me.

1. I configure exchange manually following the documentation.

2. I click on the application monitor for the node and this screenshot (above) will still show up.

3. I enter the credentials I want the application monitor to use - in this case a separate set of domain credentials with access rights for exchange.

4. It will warn me if my manual configuration is not completely correct before making any actual changes to the server - If my changes are correct then it will let me through.

aLTeReGo

The "Configure Server" button does not warn about changes being made, it's an action to make any changes necessary. Any/all changes made by the "Configure Server" button are documented in the manual steps. E.G. the manual steps are automated by the "Configure Server" button. If you don't wish to use the "Configure Server" button you can manually configure the server on your own, expand the "Advanced" section of the dialog window above and click "I've already manually configured this server" which will bypass this dialog window. You can then adjust credentials and PowerShell settings by editing the assigned application.

1 of 1 people found this helpful