This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Patch Manager to deploy LEM and Dameware updates

Can Patch Manager be used to deploy LEM and Dameware client updates?

• Patch Manager can be used to update the DameWare MRC agent and we provide the packages in the Patch Manager catalog to do that.

Theoretically Patch Manager could be used to deploy the Windows Agent for LEM, but I'm not sure why one would expend that effort.

LEM already ships with a remote installation tool for the Windows Agent.

• Yes the LEM agent can easily be packaged for deployment through WSUS with Patch Manager.  I needed to use WSUS to push out the LEM agent to my 150 machines since we use a energy savings policy to hibernate machines after 60mins and the LEM remote installation tool requires a machine to be online.

Select your LEM agent Setup.exe

Select the LEM Installer.Properties file for Additional Files

Command line:  -i silent

Package setup.png

Applicability Rules I checked that the following registry key did not exist (my machines are x64 so maybe different location if yours are x86)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WoW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\SolarWinds Log & Event Manager Agent

NOTE: You need to escape & using &

Applicability Rule.png

Installed Rules

Check that the above registry key now exists

Installed Rules.png

Once my machines had the LEM agent installed I let LEM handle updating the agents itself instead of trying to keep up with packages in PM.

• I decided to have a go at it and created a CAB file.  Use at your own risk, but it might be a good starting point.

LEM 6.1.0 Catalog

• Does your process rely on the existence of SCCM or are only using WSUS? We currently only use WSUS to handle our MS patches. Would I also need to stand up a SCCM infrastructure to be able to push out third party updates via Patch Manager?

• Hi Shaffer,

You can use Patch Manager with WSUS to push out the third party updates. Patch Manager supports both WSUS and SCCM you could use either of them. More info Evaluation Guide