2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2015 10:07 AM by bluefunelemental

Property is Null

jmazaredo

Is there a way that I can get this query working, the query is giving empty result.

Select Region,SITECODE,CAPTION,Device_Type,MachineType,Notification from nodes WHERE Notification = '' Doesnt work

Select Region,SITECODE,CAPTION,Device_Type,MachineType,Notification from nodes WHERE Status = '2' Works

• Re: Property is Null
          mharvey

If you are looking for items that have not had something in Notification then you want

where Notification IS NULL

If there were values that have been blanked out then you want

where Notification = ' ' to denote an empty space. 

From what you have above then more than likely the IS NULL is what you are looking for.

• Re: Property is Null
            bluefunelemental

Agree with mharvey

Though some queries will fail because your operator does not like coming across NULL values. In which case you can use the IsNull function like this:

Select Region,SITECODE,CAPTION,Device_Type,MachineType,Notification from nodes WHERE IsNull(Environment,'') = 'Production'

Would return any nodes where the environment value is Production and not break on NULLS

Whereas

Select Region,SITECODE,CAPTION,Device_Type,MachineType,Notification from nodes WHERE IsNull(Environment,'') = 'Production'

Would return any nodes where the environment value is Production or NULL, as we are substituting Production for NULLS

Or the one I have to use all the time

Select Region,SITECODE,CAPTION,Device_Type,MachineType,Notification from nodes WHERE IsNull(Environment,'') = ''

Show me all the nodes whose environment value is empty string or NULL

1 of 1 people found this helpful