4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2015 1:51 PM by ctna-gzoltun

How to use IPAM / NPM with "unmanaged IP addresses"

ctna-gzoltun

Recently installed both and I just realized that most of my server (static addresses) are not in IPAM or NPM. Just to document how I got on this track is: I removed 2 devices from my network and the cable drops are to be removed, they were unmarked. So I thought, I'll just search IPAM to find the device, then locate the switch port using UDT. I can't find the device because the IP address is basically unknown to all of my SW products. Here's how my inherited network is setup. IP range 10.4.20.1/19. My missing IP's are in the exact range of 10.4.28.1-10.4.29.254. For the 10.4.20.1/19 subnet, DHCP is configured to handle 10.4.20.1-10.4.21.250. Is my problem due to the fact that my subnet is 10.4.20.1/19 but that entire scope is not within the DHCP range? If so, how should I go about fixing this? Should I enable the entire subnet for SHCP and then exclude the 10.4.28.1-10.4.29.250?

• Re: How to use IPAM / NPM with "unmanaged IP addresses"
          superfly99

Why don't you manually add in the extra ranges you wish to scan in IPAM? That way any range not in DHCP will be covered by IPAM.

In my case I actually don't have IPAM integrated with DHCP and I just scan all /24's (as that's how most are broken up) for any addresses that are out there. And then I've created some separate views on a per site basis.

• Re: How to use IPAM / NPM with "unmanaged IP addresses"
            ctna-gzoltun

SOLUTION - I think superfly99 had the right answer but prior to that comment, I believe I had tried add the missing IP's and was not successful so I didn't dig any further (maybe I was trying to add an entirely new subnet). What I had to do (with instruction from support) was click on the subnet where the missing IP's belonged, then click on Add IP Range and enter my starting and ending addresses.. that immediately added the addresses, I then scanned the subnet and everything was there and accounted for (used/available).