10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2015 4:22 AM by erleshofer

SAM 6.2 RC Feedback

erleshofer

hello

i hope this is the right place to report SAM 6.2 RC experience, improvements and so on

install:

when installing SAM 6.2 RC make sure DB compatibility level is SQL Server 2008 (100) at least the configuration util gave us an error with SQL Server 2005 (90) compatibility level.

modifying the compatibility level with management studio wasnt hard, a precheck in the setup would be very appreciated anyway.

appstack:

after clicking around, searching for how to enable the AppStack View we found out that it was already there, so straight forward but we didnt find a direct menu somewhere, maybe our menues are just configured wrong, anyway a tab/menu would simplify this task for the RTM. pointing your browser to http://%orionserver%/orion/appstack and voila looks good.

QoE

QoE Deep Packet Inspection also looks very promising collecting knowledge about protocols right now, so i will report again when more familiar with 6.2 RC

actually i found the first problem resulting in "slow" CIFS so this feature is pretty cool and straight forward.

Web based alerts

got converted and are there but for example "high transmit percent utilization" sends an email without the actual hostname so email is usless

a few of the alerts have an (2) at the end and doubled as it looks like for example the "high transmit percent utilization" exists two times

because i was playing around a lot with alerts in the past it might be a wrong config on my side but with 6.1 the alerts had names in it

UI

Virtualization Menu Tab points to /Orion/TrafficAnalysis/SummaryView.aspx#tabs-4

and doesnt work but /Orion/VIM/VIMSummary.aspx?view=VIM%20Integrated%20Summary works

thanks, peter

• Re: SAM 6.2 RC Feedback
          aLTeReGo

Excellent feedback erleshofer!!1

erleshofer wrote:

install:

when installing SAM 6.2 RC make sure DB compatibility level is SQL Server 2008 (100) at least the configuration util gave us an error with SQL Server 2005 (90) compatibility level.

modifying the compatibility level with management studio wasnt hard, a precheck in the setup would be very appreciated anyway.

This should be improved in SAM 6.2 RC2.

appstack:

after clicking around, searching for how to enable the AppStack View we found out that it was already there, so straight forward but we didnt find a direct menu somewhere, maybe our menues are just configured wrong, anyway a tab/menu would simplify this task for the RTM. pointing your browser to http://%orionserver%/orion/appstack and voila looks good.

The AppStack Environment view should be accessible as a menu bar item under the "Home" tab. If it is not, please let us know. You should not need to know the direct URL to access the AppStack Environment view.

Web based alerts

got converted and are there but for example "high transmit percent utilization" sends an email without the actual hostname so email is usless

a few of the alerts have an (2) at the end and doubled as it looks like for example the "high transmit percent utilization" exists two times

because i was playing around a lot with alerts in the past it might be a wrong config on my side but with 6.1 the alerts had names in it

This may be a bug. I've logged this internally under FB400995 to be investigated. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

UI

Virtualization Menu Tab points to /Orion/TrafficAnalysis/SummaryView.aspx#tabs-4

and doesnt work but /Orion/VIM/VIMSummary.aspx?view=VIM%20Integrated%20Summary works

thanks, peter

I can't say I've seen this or heard it occurring to others, but if it's reproducible (meaning you haven't fixed it yet) please open a case with support so we can investigate potential causes. I've also logged this internally for investigation under FB401042.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            roman.tatar

Hi,

regarding the Web based alerts.
            - Previously there were two alerts one in Basic alerts manager with name "High Transmit Percent Utilization" and second in Advanced alert manager "High Transmit Percent Utilization".
            - New alerting is not divided into basic and advanced alerting, it is unified and both these alerts are migrated. Because they have the same name one of them is migrated as (2) on the end.

I have looked into default configuration of these two alerts and there were no action to send email.

- You can modify the action to send email and add macro ${NodeName} in Message section it will resolve into Node name.

Roman

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                erleshofer

hi

i will try that thanks roman.tatar -> tried and thats it simply added  ${NodeName} to subject.

this means i have messed up the alerst before maybe (BUT they where working at least)

yeah you are right again, looking again at the alerts i see that i am adding a webpage as body which fails too. (see attachment)

we did that in the past a advanced toptalker report displaying netflow top communications like documented here

Top Talker Alert

i found the following trigger action "Email a Webpage" which isnt correct.

${SQL:SELECT REPLACE(REPLACE(Macro, '$$Password$$', 'networkstuff'),'$$User$$', 'admin') FROM NetFlowAlertMacros WHERE ID='InWebMailInterfaceDetailsLink'}

update:

looks like this trigger action doesnt work anymore. when i change user/password to a known user/password the mail-body is just blank.

when i do a test creds it works, but test url creates a http 500 internal server error.

maybe because NTA is not updated to the RC?

but thats more a NPM/NTA thing than a SAM problem

best, peter

roman.tatar

Hi,

I have tried to create simple custom SQL macro in action "Log the Alert to the NetPerfMon Event Log" and it worked:

${SQL:SELECT Caption FROM NodesData where Caption like 'node_name'}

Try to execute the SQL query in SQL management studio. Does it work?

SELECT REPLACE(REPLACE(Macro, '$$Password$$', 'networkstuff'),'$$User$$', 'admin') FROM NetFlowAlertMacros WHERE ID='InWebMailInterfaceDetailsLink'

Roman

erleshofer

hi roman.tatar

the select works in managementstudio.netflowselect.PNG

i opened a call this morning because of the other open points. courios what that might be.

thanks, peter

roman.tatar

Hello again,

I have tried to create new alert, then on Trigger Action click "Add Action" button

- Action "Send an Email/Page".

- Set To, left Subject intact.
                            - I have overwritten Message area and put there text:

link: ${SQL:SELECT REPLACE(REPLACE(Macro, '$$Password$$', 'empty'),'$$User$$', 'admin') FROM NetFlowAlertMacros WHERE ID='InWebMailInterfaceDetailsLink'}

- Message type HTML

Once I received the email the link worked fine. (I have set just some simple trigger condition, that is true - to trigger the alert)

Can you please try to crete new alert?

Roman

erleshofer

hi roman.tatar

an update on this. right now already on RTM code.

i needed to supply additional Optional Web Server Authentication Credentials to make the triggeraction add a body to my email.

so now its fixed but i dont understand why exactly i need them because the macro string includes credentials already.

thanks, peter