Package Not Applicable (Round 2)

blashmet

I'm testing a custom package (XML attached) with the following rules:

Prerequisite: None

Applicability:

Capture.PNG

Installed:

Capture.PNG

It seems like the system I'm testing on clearly satisfies the applicability conditions:

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

However, Patch Manager reports that the update is not applicable:

Capture.PNG

Did I miss something simple in the package rules?

• Re: Package Not Applicable (Round 2)
          Lawrence Garvin

Your issue has to do with the test for haywire.txt in the root of the C: drive, specifically with the empty COMMON_PATH definition.

There's a known defect when using COMMON_PATH=NONE, so this rule is failing and as a result the ruleset returns FALSE.

A workaround is to use COMMON_PATH="WINDOWS" and then backpath to get to the root of the volume, e.g. ..\haywire.txt

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              blashmet

I made that change, but it still shows as not applicable for that system.  Any other ideas?

Capture.PNG

Lawrence Garvin

A couple of possibilities:

Is the Altaro product a 32-bit application or a 64-bit application. Is the test system an x86 or x64 system?

For testing purposes, one useful technique is to remove one rule at a time from the package to see if the results change;

or an alternative approach is to add one rule at a time back to the ruleset to see if/when the states change.

The objective being to isolate which rule is returning a FALSE evaluation.

Also, be sure that the client is actually evaluating the current revision. To do this will require you to force the client to do a detection after publishing the revision to ensure the client sees the latest revision.