3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2015 7:46 PM by dsbalcau

NetApp CDOT and SRM

sflower

We finally have NPM and SAM all updated around the world. We now would like to implement SRM to get some statistics on our CDOT system as well as a few 7 mode systems out there. Support has recommended we run SRM, SAM and NPM on one VM. I am hesitant to put all these products together and wanted to bounce it off of the forums. Can I have SRM on a different VM and let SAM and NPM reside on another VM. I don't want the overhead of SRM running on the Orion Core.

Thank you in advance for your time.

-Shawn

• Re: NetApp CDOT and SRM
          dsbalcau

Hi sflower,

Thanks for your question.

The SRM Orion Module is a fully capable stand-alone Orion module for monitoring storage. It does not require any other Orion module to run. That being said....

I'm curious exactly what your concerns are? We did a bunch of work to make sure that the information provided by each of these tools worked together to provide you with a single pane of glass for your entire infrastructure, the most obvious of which (but definitely not the only one) is the new AppStack Environment Map. Integration of the storage data with these other Orion modules is not possible if you have SRM running stand-alone. For example, if you have SAM monitoring your physical servers, we will not be able to report on LUN's mapped to those servers with the two products separated.

If there is a specific concern about resource utilization, please let me know so we can address it.

sflower

The SRM Orion Module you are speaking of is the SRM 6.0.0 - RC2 (668MB) install that is listed in the portal. Run this full install on my Orion Core that is running SAM and NPM. Is that correct? Is there any documentation on there how this is all supposed to sit?

Thank you.

-Shawn

dsbalcau

Hi sflower,

Yes, sir, that is the correct set of bits and, yes, you can install on the same server running NPM and SAM. In fact, that's the whole idea :-)  We will also share the same SQL backend those modules are using and you will get a nice new "Storage tab" appearing in the web console to join your "Network" and "Applications" tabs.

I've uploaded the draft version of the Admin Guide to my answer on this thread Re: Storage Manager 6.0 RC upgrade questions ("Getting Started.pdf"). The fully revised admin guide will be published at GA. 

If you have specific questions about deployment, let me know and I'll do my best to address.