This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Alert Suppression - Interface Suppression help

Hi ,

I'm a Licensed Solarwinds Orion user under my company. Currently I have created HIGH-TRANSMIT ALERT for 5 branches , which have around 10 Switches each branch .

The HIGH-TRANSMIT ALERT seem working , for internal reasons,I want to suppress Interface Description Labelled : VLAN APP1  , VLAN DB1 , as they are always on

the HIGH TRANSMIT.

I have added each BRANCH on the , and have used the "Interface Alias Not Equal To" VLAN APP  , and VLANDB1 .  Detail Info on the RULE :

Trigger Alert when all of the following apply :

Xmit Percent Utilization is greater than 75%

Interface Alias is not equal to  VLAN APP

Interface Alias is not equal to  VLAN DB1

Trigger Alert when any of the following apply

Location is equal to Branch1

Location is equal to Branch2

Location is equal to Branch3

So if the Interface is  CUSTOMER-A VLAN & hits more then 75% , then it should ALERT .

OR

So if the Interface is  CUSTOMER-B VLAN & hits more then 75% , then it should ALERT .

But if the Interface is VLAN APP & & hits more then 75% , then it should NOT ALERT

But if the Interface is VLAN DB1 & & hits more then 75% , then it should NOT ALERT

• Are you sure Interface Alias has the correct value? this is the ifDescr from the device, and I find things like extra spaces, or " characters throw things off.

I find it useful to switch an alert to 'custom SQL' and copy the SQL query into a Database manager query window and fine-tune the conditions there.

[You don't need to save it as a custom SQL query, but it's useful to see what the actual database query is as that shows the more obvious logic errors]

• The trigger is getting confused because the interface alias can never by equal to 2 different names. If you remove on of your interface alias triggers, then the alert will suppress for that particular interface alias.

But if you separate the 2 interface alias triggers into a "trigger alert where ANY of the following apply" it should work.

Trigger Alert when all of the following apply :

Xmit Percent Utilization is greater than 75%

Trigger Alert when any of the following apply :

Interface Alias is not equal to  VLAN APP

Interface Alias is not equal to  VLAN DB1

Trigger Alert when any of the following apply

Location is equal to Branch1

Location is equal to Branch2

Location is equal to Branch3

• erm, I think the condition is okay... he has a not equal in there

• Can you export the entire alert from the Advanced Alert Manager and attach it? (not just the trigger condition)

• Maybe, won't know until he tries it.

I just hope he has nothing in the Alert Surpression section.

• I had pretty much the same requirements in my environment where I only needed certain interfaces to trigger an email alert when Utilization above "X".

Not sure if the most efficient way of doing it, but effective enough to accomplish what I wanted.

I created different Custom Properties and just so that i knew their significance, I named them "Interface Util over "x" threshold"   I mention "x" threshold because I have 3 sets of them.

I placed the interfaces I was interested in under that Custom Property.

On the advance Alerts I specified the custom property to be Interface "Util over "x" threshold" = True

I have an advance alert with custom properties like this one for our ISP links set at 70%

I have another alert like this for our Core links.

So far they have worked for me  emoticons_happy.png

Hope that helps

• Thanks guys , I'm still on the test & run .

On Jan 29, 2015 10:57 AM, "jodelgado" <

• Have you tried this approach with Groups?  Use a custom property and the conditions you specified as dynamic queries.  It might simplify your alert.  The creation of the group might benefit you in other ways (page limited by membership in that group).

Admin --> Manage Groups -->

• Hi , Thanks for the feedback.

Seems I played around the "ALL" & "ANY" rule got the job done.

Thanks ..

--

RAJAVETHAN,

MALAYSIA.

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 11:13 PM, d09h <