5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2015 4:39 AM by Lawrence Garvin

Moving PM DB from one Remote SQL server to another

pattywmom

Hello,

We are consolidating SQL servers and need to move our PM DB from one SQL server to another.  The SQL versions are the same and our DBA team is well versed in SQL - the question is, what do I need to do on the PM side to point it to the new server name?

I see the current server in the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EminentWare\Data Grid Service under the connection string - is that the only place it needs to change?  Obviously need to shut down PM etc prior to the move.

Please let me know if there are any other caveats!

Thank you!

• Re: Moving PM DB from one Remote SQL server to another
          Lawrence Garvin

This Knowledgebase article should provide everything you need.

Make necessary adjustments to accomodate the source database's actual location.

SolarWinds Knowledge Base :: How to migrate a local Patch Manager database to a remote SQL server

pattywmom

The question is not to move a LOCAL DB to a remote server - the DB is already remote.

The question is to move a remote DB from one server to another (different) server.  The link you provided is for local to remote.

Thanks

Lawrence Garvin
                  The question is not to move a LOCAL DB to a remote server - the DB is already remote.

Yes, which is why I said to make necessary adjustments. :-)

The link I provided provides the necessary Patch Manager steps that must be completed.

You said your DBA was capable of doing the database move unassisted, so I didn't really worry about those details.

Moving a *database* from one database server to another is irrelevant to whether it's local or remote. It's just two database servers.

pattywmom

So - we just did a test where ALL I did was change the registry entry for the connection string.  It appears to work fine.  Obviously if we don't need to go through ALL of those other steps (which don't seem to apply to this situation at all) there's no point in touching anything.

Do you *KNOW* if this is all that needs to happen on the PM side?  If you don't know, then please just say so - I feel like throwing me at a doc and saying "Make necessary changes" isn't really helpful.

Thanks

Lawrence Garvin
                          Obviously if we don't need to go through ALL of those other steps (which don't seem to apply to this situation at all) there's no point in touching anything.

Please do not skip steps. We wrote these steps for very explicit reasons. Every time a customer has skipped a step it results in a support call in which we point out the step they skipped.

ALL steps are REQUIRED anytime the database is moved from one SQL Server instance to another SQL Server instance, regardless of where those instances are physically located.

Do you *KNOW* if this is all that needs to happen on the PM side?

Yes, I know this for a fact. You might find some reassurance from reading my bio. I've been working with Patch Manager for over six years.

I feel like throwing me at a doc and saying "Make necessary changes" isn't really helpful.

Follow the steps *exactly* and you'll be fine -- which is why we wrote the KB article.

Would it have made you feel more secure if I'd copied and pasted the contents of the article into this reply?