5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2016 1:17 AM by bluefunelemental

IPAM Scan Setting Configuration:  Documentation on Best Practices?

Jason Ward

Aloha....

We recently deployed IPAM to keep an easier track on our address space and utilized the default settings for the scan.  It looks like things work, but I always wonder if it could work better if we adjust some of the settings.  I looked around for a best practice or suggested settings and do not see anything.  Has anyone "played" around or tweaked the settings and found based on number of subnets/speed a sweet spot or algorithm?

• Re: IPAM Scan Setting Configuration:  Documentation on Best Practices?
          foonly

I agree. I'm still setting things up, and I have to wonder if there's an easier way. We've got many hours invested in the setup. Maybe SW expected me to use the Wizard. No way. I tried that. I ended up with so much confusion due to point to point uplinks.

I've been using subnet spreadsheets based on our existing old IP address plan spreadsheets - it has subnet, mask, location, and a description of the purpose of the subnet.

But I found that when importing the nets that way to set it up, it did not add the IPs. So a friendly SolarWinds guy sent me a tool called AddIP that worked great for that. Hope it gets included in a future version.

I've also gone back and forth between site based vs IP based layout. It's a question of how technical the users are. IP layout - more technical. We have multiple WAN sites with several different allocation schemes - some do /24s for everything, some with CIDR based stuff for point to point uplinks, etc, some with overlap in the address space between sites (not duplication). So I sorta want both views - location/site based vs. flat IP table. Not sure if that's achievable on 4.3.

I also wondered about the various description options. There's the Display Name on the left, then the Description of a subnet, then the Scope name. It seems that adding DHCP scopes makes the Description of the subnet that I had added from my spreadsheet upload disappear.

I still get hundreds of duplicate IP alerts daily for interfaces on routers discovered by adjacent routers vs ARP.

I haven't found a way to turn the /30's off in the summary - they'll always be full, don't want them to be shown as red.

I'm not sure if some of this is just not reading  a key sentence in the documentation with my eyes screwed in counterclockwise, or what.

So ultimately, I'm looking beyond 4.3 toward the possible UI redesign.

michal.hrncirik

thanks for great feedback. let me go through the points:

1) Are you saying IP subnet discovery doesn't work well for you? What would have to be changed so it gives you result you want to see (subnets).

2) AddIP tool is our old pain which we have to fix in IPAM and let you generate IPs from within UI

3) for /30 exclusion, go to Edit of the subnet utilization resources and set filter subnet "Subnet.CIDR > 30"

4) IP conflict have "hide" option and they should not appear anymore. are you saying they popping back anyway?

thanks!

Michal

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              Jason Ward

Aloha....

So no one has this deployed and adjusted settings?  SolarWinds - are there any tips/tricks/whitepapers on these settings?

Mahalo....

Jason

bluefunelemental

Here's my suggestion - I set the scan timing to less then 4hrs since my Cisco's mac address cache empties out then - so this way if a device was EVER plugged into a port I should have IPAM/UDT record it for me instead of only when it happens to coincide with a scan event.