This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Difference between the SONAR found under NPM and the one under Engineering tool set

Good Day Everyone,

I am new to Solarwinds and was trying out the SONAR tool available under the engineering tool set. I went through the good tutorial videos for NPM and when the instructor was explaining the part where he adds the VMWare credentials I realized that the the SONAR tool I downloaded on my laptop isnt the same and dint seem to have the option to add VMWare ESXI credentials and windows credentials. Infact the whole tool looks different.

Initially i thought may be its different versions. But if its not are their difference in the functionality of the SONAR available under the engineering tool set (installed on laptop) and the one found under Network Performance Monitor.

If so are there any documents explaining the functions of both so the users would be able to choose the best suited.

Best Regards,

Aj

• Hi Ajay,

these two tools are trully different serving different purpose. Sonar in NPM helps you discover and add devices into monitoring of NPM and other Orion (web) based products... Engineer's Toolset Sonar does this for monitoring in Toolset only.

So depending on what you are trying to achieve, you may want to run Sonar in NPM or both.

Let me know should you need some intro into Toolset and I will be happy to help (also via GoToMeeting or a call if you want..)

Regards

Peter

• Hello Peter,

thanks for the information.

I would like to know if the SONAR in engineerign tool set allows us to give the credentials of VMWare Vcenter and get information about the vm and their datastore. As per the attached report i got for the demo orion report.

Best regards,

Ajay

• No, I don't think the Toolset Sonar does any of  that, it simply will show SNMP and ICMP responses.  It isn't as up-to-date as the Orion demo.  It still only works off SNMP.

• Mharvey is right - Toolset Sonar doesn't support these devce types. Orion Sonar should be helpful for this.

Peter