27 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2015 1:34 AM by amarnath_r

Polling failed on Domain controller

jleitsch

I've just installed UDT 3.2 into my existing Orion system.  I am running NPM 11.0.1, SAM 6.1.1, NTA 3.11.  I have added my 10 Domain Controllers in UDT, but 3 of them come back with the following status, "Polling Failed, check security log access credentials"   The domain controllers are 2008R2, 2012 and 2003.  The account I am using is a member of the Domain Admins group.  I've checked every permission I can think of on the logs, but the account has all needed permissions.  I've been able to remotely access the logs with the account.  I'm not sure what else to check as I can't find any other errors.  When I tested UDT 3.1, I did not have this issue.  I am using the same account as my test.  Thanks for any pointers.

Joe Leitsch

• Re: Polling failed on Domain controller
          jayd

This is happening to us as well. We are monitoring 12 DCs. Shortly after upgrading UDT to 3.2 a couple of weeks ago one of them began getting the "Polling Failed" error. I lived with it for a few days while I researched possible solutions. In the end, I deleted the node and then added it back. Since then, there has been no issue with that DC, but 2 others have now started to fail. We were running NPM 11.0.1, NTA 4.1 and UDT 3.1 prior to the upgrade and had been monitoring these DCs for several months without issue. UDT is the only module we upgraded.

Jay Dunn

aksteve

similar situation here. The failed error shows up on different DC's.

Orion Platform 2014.2.1, QoE 1.0, IPAM 4.3, NCM 7.3.2, NPM 11.0.1, NTA 4.1.0, UDT 3.2.0, IVIM 1.10.0

peter.ksenzsigh

Sometimes the AD credentials test running with each poll behaves weirdly and so I would like to ask: are the respective data polled? (despite the error..) It easily could be kind of "false positive" alert with data still being correctly polled...

jayd

I think you are correct. Data does appear to be collected. Of course, not every DC in a domain is failing. At some point after synchronization, that data could be coming from another DC. Regardless, it's annoying at the very least. So far, deleting the node and then re-adding it has resolved the issue. I know this may not be an option for many, but that's the road I'm taking. If a node that I have already re-added starts failing again, I'll report back.

Jay

rmunyanglobal

This is really a drag tired of seeing the Alerts constantly. Everything is working so we know there is no error just a PIA!

jleitsch

The hotfix that was released last week for UDT 3.2 has fixed my error.  Sense installing it the error went away.

jayd

I reported last that once I deleted a node and then re-created it the problem went away. Everything was stable for a week or so, but now that's changed. I have one node that is in an error state even after deleting and re-creating. I've re-created it 4 times now and after about a day the error state returns. I applied the hotfixes (1 & 2) last week, but that doesn't appear to have resolved the issue (in my environment at least).

Jay

rharland2012

Any better results with hotfix 3, or are you still encountering this issue?

jayd

I just got around to installing Hotfix 3 and so far it has not fixed the problem. I noticed that once polling fails on a DC, the next polling time does not increment. For example, the last successful poll for one of my affected DCs was 5 Feb at 8:48am. It still shows the next poll is scheduled for 5 Feb at 9:18am.

I've stopped deleting and re-adding the nodes and just basically ignore the "UDT Remote Event Log Jobs failed" message. However, I have noticed that occasionally it will indicate only 2 are in a failed state when there were 3 or 4 the day before. Apparently, some will eventually correct themselves only to fail again a day or so later.

Jay

fdamstra

Did either of you open tickets on these issues?  I may have to open a ticket and I could reference them.  I'm having similar problems with a 2-3 DC's (out of about 25) reporting that ominous message.

jayd

No, I did not open a ticket. That was gong to be my next step, but I've found a workaround.

To bring up to date - I have been operating under the impression (determined early on in this thread) that this error was a false positive. I discovered a couple of days ago that this is not the case. When I have a DC in a failed poll state, it is not collecting login information. I had 2 DCs that had been in a failed poll state for 2 weeks. I verified the last logon record for that domain in the Orion database was 2 weeks old.

Workaround - In the past, I've been deleting and then re-creating the node. Then I found something that's been in front of my face the whole time. There is a way to manually force a poll. Go to Settings --> UDT Settings --> View UDT Job Status. Find the failed DC and click the Poll Now button. Immediate relief.

Some History - In earlier versions of UDT when you went to UDT Settings --> Manage Active Directory Domain Controller, it automatically forced a poll of all managed DCs. I found some entries in this forum complaining that this was a real pain in cases where many DCs were managed. There were requests to stop this behavior and replace it with a manual alternative. Apparently the Orion/UDT team was listening and this is the result. So on one side this is a good thing, but obviously the scheduled polling shouldn't be failing and must be addressed. I'm sure they're monitoring this thread, but opening a ticket may be the best way to ensure a fix is in the works.

Jay

lindberg16

Did anyone ever get anywhere with this?

I am experiencing the same issue with UDT 3.2 randomly failing to DCs.

For my part I have noticed that manual polling via the UDT Job Status page seems to either: not do anything or is just failing immediately.  If I kick one off by modifying a DCs polling interval, that seems to work much more reliably.  No hotfixes on my install & it is a fresh server with no imported or upgraded Orion data.

I just opened a ticket, but I'm curious if there's any more data I can look for to help out support.

Orion Platform 2014.2.1, IPAM 4.3, NCM 7.3.2, UDT 3.2.0

umutdedeoglu

Same here. We've running standalone UDT 3.2 and getting error Polling Failed, Check security log Access credentials" every 30 minutes.

When we test the credentials it seems ok.

I couldn't find any hotfix about UDT, could someone help me about it?

PS: Polling Engine version is SolarWinds Orion Core Services 2014.2.1"

bluefunelemental

Same

Running newest UDT version 3.2 and core 2015.1.0

Had to simply remove the AD controller from UDT all together- adding back did not help

lindberg16

I am finding that the DCs occasionally self recover to a working state, but it's pretty rare.  Had to set the polling rates down to the minimums to really see it happen though (5m).

fdamstra

This is a different experience than me.  I usually have this issue once or twice per day on seemingly random DC's.  If I don't do anything, it will autorecover and the next day I'll have a different DC reporting the error.

lindberg16

Based on a conversation with support.

Even though the issue is transient instead of being all the way broken (or not), we seem to have a pretty high probability of resolution with:

• Hotfix2 for UDT (due to a DB error showing up in C:\ProgramData\Solarwinds\Logs\Orion\UDT.BusinessLayer.log)
                                                • After testing out remote Event Manager connections from the UDT server to a DC (via Windows Event Manager, not anything Solarwinds), it became clear I was missing a couple of firewall rules in the host firewalls that are apparently important, but only sporadically.
                                                  • Three rules for Remote Event Log Management
                                                  • One for COM+ Network Access

Looks like it was both problems to one degree or another.  I'm used to missing packet filter rules killing things a lot more reliably than "every now and then" soo... I want to say it was more the Hotfix that got things stable, but I don't know.  I haven't seen any DCs error out in the last four hours, which is a huge improvement for me (I have polling intervals set very low while testing).

Hooray!

l.mendoza

Hi all, did anyone had a resolution on this?  We are having same issue right now with UDT 3.2.

Please advise. Thank you!

akrekic11

It looks like people are running into this problem for some different reasons however this did happen to me recently after upgrading to 3.2.0 so here is my story.

Basically all of the 10 DC's were showing polls failing, none of the hotfixes available made any change to this for me.  When I went into my DC nodes and tested the credentials everything came back as good but in UDT they still continued to fail - even after removing them from Solarwinds and re-adding them.  I decided to call support however during the 25 minutes I was waiting on hold to try and open a case I seemed to resolve the issue for now.  I went into the settings -> UDT Settings -> View UDT Job Status.  From in here I was able to track down my DC's and manually clicked the poll now button for each DC and they are all back up now and reading information properly.  They have stayed up since but it has only been a couple days and the server hasn't been restarted since so I I'm still not sure if we are at risk of encountering this again.

jayd

This is the solution I referred to in my last post. It is not a permanent fix. The poll failures will return. It may be a day or a week, but eventually it does return (at least for me). So it seems that it's the scheduled poll that fails. The next time you get a polling failure, look at the AD Domain Controller Polling Details in the DC's Node Summary View. The next poll time will be in the past and will never increment until a new poll is successful (by forcing a manual poll).

rharland2012

I'm on the latest and greatest, but we're still experiencing this error. Did anyone in the thread ever get a permanent fix in place?

hippieboy9

I would like to see a way to disable the banner alert for the DC's not polling.  It is super annoying and it will pop up when a site is down for power failure or MPLS down or whatever.  I would rather just not have a banner and have a standard alert.

amarnath_r

Check this KB. I followed this and i was able to poll succefully!!

http://knowledgebase.solarwinds.com/kb/questions/3532/Not+Receiving+User+Data+from+Domain+Controllers+and+Validating+Active+Directory+in+UDT

If the AD is setup please run the compatibility checker against the DC.

UDT COMPATIBILITY CHECKER
                                                      Run UDTCompatibilityChecker.exe from here:
                                                      C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion\UDT

1) Click New and enter any session name (eg, test), using “Orion Node” as the source. Enter login credentials for the web console (it uses SWIS)
                                                      2) Select the Node, and select the type of tests to complete against this node:

- WMI to test access to Domain controllers for User Logins