8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2014 6:33 AM by Kurt H

NTM 2.2 RC1

Kurt H

I noticed first of all that the RC for the new NTM is out there. I installed it, looks great, but a few problems.

1. in the Primary Node Role, WorkStation or Computer is missing.

2. Great idea for the Custom Icons, but you can not add any custom icons or new icons, just change the existing Node Role icon.

Need to change it so we can add our own icons and node roles.

• Re: NTM 2.2 RC1
          cobrien

Wow, you're quick!  Indeed the RC is available in the portal and announcements will be going out shortly.

1. Strange we didn't see this before, so it may have certain triggering conditions.  QA will investigate immediately.

2. Custom icons can be set by node role or by machine type, which is quite specific.  I understand you'd like to also be able to create brand new roles.  We're still thinking about how to do this; particularly trying to figure out a way to do this that doesn't require the user to go and manually change each new device to a node role they just made up.

Kurt H

I guess you can say I am stalking SolarWinds. lol

Anyways, thanks for the information.

cobrien

Could you provide a screenshot of issue #1 and elaborate on what is not as expected?  I thought I understood the issue, but I was mistaken.

Kurt H

Here is the screen shot. As you can see there is no computer/workstation.

NTM-Screenshot.JPG

cobrien

Aha.  A computer/workstation could be a great many things.  We break it down more granularly, so a computer/workstation will show up as a Hyper-V Guest, VMware Guest, or WMI node in most cases.  We've never had a Computer/Workstation role.

Kurt H

Ok, never heard of a WMI Node being a workstation only. WMI can be used to refer to anything that uses WMI (Servers, Workstations, etc.), so it is not really granular.the definition of WMI is "

1. Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) is a set of extensions to the Windows Driver Model that provides an operating system interface through which instrumented components provide information and notification."

The same goes for Hyper-V Guest, VMWWARE Guest, they can be a server, appliance, or computer/Workstation, or anything that you can run in a virtual environment. I would further define these "Guest" as workstation, server, appliance. So I do not think you got Granular with this but went the opposite direction and became non-granular.

cobrien

I consider Hyper-V Guest, VMware Guest, and WMI node to be all more granular than a "computer".  It sounds like what you're trying to get at is a desktop/workstation/non-server Windows machine role?  WMI is specific to Windows, yes, but it excludes Windows nodes that have server operating systems.  Those are marked as "Server".  So WMI is basically a Windows host that doesn't appear to be a server.  We could call that a Workstation and perhaps we should.  On the other hand, it could be many things that aren't a workstation, so WMI seems like a good indicator that it's a Windows based host but we don't actually know if it's a workstation or what.  Thoughts?

Kurt H

I will give that WMI is related wot a WIndows machine, weather a server or a workstation. You all do have Server as a role. The thing is you also have MAC workstations, Linux desktops, Unix desktops, etc. WMI does not cover those roles, only windows. I think the role of Workstation would be all encompassing to take care of that Windows workstation, linux, unix, and MAC.