6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2014 9:02 AM by frgpugs

No more adobe reader updates, just full versions?

frgpugs

I recently ran into a problem where adobe reader was published and got installed onto several servers and other machines that we did not want it to be on.  Looking into it, it seems like the last reader update was in 2013 and since then it has been full versions only.  Is this normal and we just have to make more groups for machines that we want to exclude adobe reader updates for or am I missing something here?

I hope I have explained what im trying to ask so that people can understand it.  Basically what I want to have is reader gets installed manually or in an image and then patch manager gives it updates to that version but wont install on machines that dont already have it just like every other third party update.

• Re: No more adobe reader updates, just full versions?
          Lawrence Garvin

Greetings.

Reader packages can be a bit tricky, and it's very important to be aware of which packages you're using and from which source.

Starting with Reader v10, Adobe began publishing their own catalog of *updates* to Reader. Since that time, SolarWinds has not published *updates* for Reader, but from time to time, Adobe does release a FULL INSTALLER EXE-based package. We have packaged those as they have become available. This process has continued with Reader v11.

As such... the packages in the "Adobe Systems, Inc. Packages"  node are the *updates* published by Adobe.

The packages in the "Adobe Packages" node are the full installers published by SolarWinds.

Regardless of which packages you use, it's always a strong recommendation to define group structures according to where updates should be approved or should not be approved. For example, on my WSUS server I have a "Desktops" Target Group that contains my Desktop systems (but no Server systems). Application updates only get approved for this "Desktops" target group, thus ensuring that (whether I'm using full installers or update packages), things like Reader, Java, Flash, etc., never get sent to a server for installation.

frgpugs

Thats the problem, I am not getting *updates*, only full installers.  This is from Adobe Systems Inc Packages and the latest *update* patch is 11.0.06 from 11/14/2013.  Reader full version under Adobe Packages is 11.0.10.32 is from 12/10/2014

The group structure is in place already, I was just wondering if I had to create another group only for no adobe reader updates since I can no longer do anything but full installs.

12-15-2014 2-58-40 PM.jpg

Lawrence Garvin

Thats the problem, I am not getting *updates*, only full installers.  This is from Adobe Systems Inc Packages

Adobe Systems, Inc. Packages does NOT contain full installers. Adobe does NOT publish full installers.

Why are we looking at updates from November 2013 in the image? Those updates are over a year old!

If that's the top of the list, sorted by Creation Date (which it is), then it looks to me like  you don't even have the newest Adobe Reader updates from Adobe.

It would be more useful to look at the "3rd Party Updates" view in the WSUS node of the console, filtered by Vendor CONTAINS "Adobe" so we can see what is actually *published* to your WSUS Server.

frgpugs

Ok so I guess I found one problem.  Looks like someone unpublished the reader 11 update because i just checked publication status on it and it wasnt found so that clears up why Reader 11 doesnt show up in my 3rd party view

reader 11.jpg

Heres the 3rd party view

3rd party view.jpg

Those year old updates are the latest ones I have for *updates*.  Im not sure whats going on with it as I took over this about a year ago so I must have dropped the ball on reader big time since I have just noticed this happening.  Any advice to get this back on track?