This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

What type of nodes do you monitor with UDT?

What type of nodes do you add into UDT?  Everything? Just access switches? Switches and routers?

The documentation suggests that you'd add routers and switches, but when I do so, I see some "unexpected" results.  It shows end-user devices connected to routers halfway across the world, and reports on mpls edge routers that that are at 100% capacity (Of course they are, they only have 3 interfaces!).

What's the best practice here?  I'm still learning how to best take advantage of this tool, and since we do L3 to the closet, the role of "router" versus "switch" is often mixed.

• Hi Fred,

UDT needs to see poll routers only if they are L3 gateways for endpoint connected to your access switches. If you use L3 switches as access and have default gateways configured in there, then it is OK to poll just this one type of device.

Does this help?

Peter

• Just to be clear, your recommendation is that any layer 2 access switches and their respective layer 3 gateways should be added, but that pure infrastructure devices shouldn't be?

Anybody else?

• I think of it like this - I want to see two types of devices.

One, the switches my users connect to, so I can easily pull the MACs from polling.

Two, the L3 gateways for those switches so I can easily resolve MACs to IPs.

Sometimes, the L3 gateway is a switch itself, etc.

You can monitor a device without choosing the ports, if the 100% usage metric bugs you.