10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2015 12:32 AM by HolyGuacamole

Upgrading NTA ver 3.11 to ver 4.0

alexmunte

Hi,

I want to asking you guys if i wanted to upgrading my NTA from 3.11 to 4.0 what should i prepare?

Since previously i failed to upgrading.

My condition is my NPM is ver 10.6 and in same server with the NTA but my database in other server.

Do i need to upgrade NPM first?

And i have NCM and SAM in other server, do i must upgrade them to?

Really appreciate you guys help.

Regards,

Alexander

• Re: Upgrading NTA ver 3.11 to ver 4.0
          mharvey

You should be able to have NTA 4.0 on the server without having to upgrade NPM, NCM, or SAM (not sure what versions for NCM or SAM you have).  IF not, you'll get a pop up stating you need to upgrade those modules first.  Other than that, you need to identify a server to be used for the NTA database server.  The upgrade to v4 moves the NetFlow collected data out of the SolarWinds database and puts it into a proprietary fastbit database that will need it's own server as well.  It's highly recommended not to put this on the application or SQL server, but to have an independent tertiary server.

alexmunte

Hi mharvey,

The SAM ver 6.0.1 and NCM ver 7.2.2.

What do you mean about "The upgrade to v4 moves the NetFlow collected data out of the SolarWinds database and puts it into a proprietary fastbit database that will need it's own server as well" and "The upgrade to v4 moves the NetFlow collected data out of the SolarWinds database and puts it into a proprietary fastbit database that will need it's own server as well"

mharvey

You may have to upgrade SAM, but I can't say for sure.  NCM should be fine.  In regards to NTA, there was a change to how Flow data is stored with the release of v4.  The data is moved out of the SQL server that SolarWinds uses for all it's modules and uses a fastbit database for storage.  During the installation you have to point the NTA software to the server hosting the database.  To host that database, you have to find a server, run the NTA installer on it and designate it as the NTA database server.  Then run the NTA installer on the SolarWinds server and during it's install you'll have to point to this new server.  It's a change that SolarWinds made to improve performance.  NTA data is no longer stored the same way in the SQL server.  It requires a dedicated server that you have to install it's database on.  It will then communicate back to the SQL server with data as needed.

alexmunte

Hi mharvey.

Sorry for late response, so you mean i must install new database to store NTA Database Server?so i want to ask you that our current environment is

1 Server for whole Solarwinds Database and 1 Server for NPM and NTA. So you mean when i upgrade i must buy new server for NTA Database?are NTA Database is SQL to or what?

Really appreciate your help

rharland2012

Echoing mharvey here - setting up a separate server for NTA is a simple process. There's no complex configuration or other work to do regarding the FSDB....just install the appropriate module on the new server, configure NTA 4.0 on your main box to point at the server running the FSDB, and you're good to go. Our upgrade was simple, painless, and has been stable since day one.

alexmunte

Hi rharland2012

Okay then i want to ask you. Our SQL DB is separated in different machine with the NPM and NTA. From your perception what is the best to put the FSDB

Do i must put the FSDB in same machine like i put SQL DB or same machine with the NTA itself?

Really appreciate your help.

rharland2012

What I did was spin up a separate VM to act solely as the FSDB. This box is separate from my NPM/NTA front-end box and separate from my SQL box. It's very, very simple, low-touch, and has worked flawlessly for me since day one. I understand that being able to spin up a box just for this purpose is a luxury, but it has worked very well.

If you did need to co-locate the FSDB with either the front-end/console or SQL, I might suggest the front-end of those two options. If you're able, dedicate a separate volume for the FSDB and go from there. The nice thing about the FSDB data is that there isn't a lot of change/churn (hence SW's decision to separate out the NTA data in the first place to prevent excessive SQL hammering).

ice

open a Solarwind Support ticket so that they can guide you with the upgrade path and recommended set-up for your upgrade.