7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2014 5:15 AM by Peter Krutý

Feature Requests Update?

hyperopic

I know there a few places the apparent lack of development and roadmap is being discussed, but I was hoping that it would at least be possible to have an update on the status of feature requests.

The Feature Requests forum should be very useful, but when the only thing that is listed as being in 'What we're working on' is the asset reporting that's already in the 12.2 RC, it's hard to take this seriously. That along with being asked questions on barcode implementation, when as far as I can see that doesn't even appear in the feature requests until page 4 if you sort by votes.

WebHelpDesk was purchased on the basis of the excellent development work and feature rich environment of the Orion suite. We had hoped that this would quickly be the case with WebHelpDesk and hoped to support that process, however so far we have been very disappointed at progress and support received. If this is to be a proper help desk tool, focus on the help desk, get the processes right and aligned with the appropriate best practices (i.e. ITIL\ISO 20000 Event Management, Request Fulfilment, Incident Management, Problem Management, Change Management) then add the bells and whistles. Look at the feature requests, pay attention to them, and get some communication going - in the public domain - about those requests and what you're working on.

--Richard

• Re: Feature Requests Update?
          Peter Krutý

Hi Richard,

Actually I have a new What We are Working on Post drafted and will publish it soon. We are waiting for coming closer to the actual release, so it's coming! Please stay tuned. I'm asking about Bar Code Scanning, but that is only one of the many things we are looking at. Thwack represents only part of WHD user-base and while you can see feature requests here, there are hundreds of features requests we track from many sources (Thwack, old product forums, customer interviews, UX research, prospects, Beta program, Release Candidates feedback, support cases and so on). So we are working on various ideas.

Thanks for candid feedback on features and our communication. We plan to do more frequent and smaller releases in order to provide new features to our users sooner and more often. We are collecting feedback from various sources (recently we run UX research looking for participants here on Thwack, we investigated Asset Reporting with users who requested it and I had many interviews to understand most important use-cases). But I will make sure we communicate even more on what we are working on and engage you and other users.

Peter

hyperopic

Thanks for the prompt response to that Peter.

Can I suggest that if you are pulling in feedback and feature responses from multiple sources that you make this more visibile. A good example of this comes from a competitors help desk software - which we have been looking at due to our current disillusionment with WHD - where their internal feature request list and status is publicly accessible. All that is shown on this is a feature request number, description, and stage of development. If you request a feature; by email, phone or forum; which is already on the list in some fashion, your details are added to the list of supporters of that feature, along with your feedback. You are provided the feature request number so that you can track whether that feature is in development and, if so, the expected release schedule.

Something like this might go some way to alleviating the amount of discontent shown on the forums regarding the apparent lack of progress in WHD.

--Richard

mcgeg

I have got to agree with Richard. It does seem rather disjointed if all feature requests or ideas are not visible in the same place. It makes it difficult for both the end user and the WHD team.

Also some of the ideas/feature requests have been sitting in there for some time and have plenty of votes. Surely a decision should be made one way or the other whether they should be put into the roadmap?

Some of them are simply no brainers.

Peter Krutý

Completely agree and I'm only concerned that that the list of features would be unusable. Full disclosure - we track almost 1800 feature requests from thousands of users. Many are duplicates of course, many are small, some are big, but WHD being so flexible tool and everyone having different processes in his organization makes number of request exploding. Each of us would like WHD to map exactly to their process. There are hundreds of small requests, many times contradicting each other. So rather than overload Thwack with thousands of feature requests, it's easier for us to have here only requests raised by users of Thwack. Also to fill-in all feature requests into Thwack would be extremely time consuming.

However, I hear you and I agree we should make it visible and that's why we have What we are working (WWWO) on post. It will be updated soon with features we are working on for next releases, but we're waiting to come closer to final release (it's coming very soon, so stay tuned!). That post is intended to communicate current short-list of ideas we are looking at. Also I love to get as much feedback as possible, so if anyone is interested about specific feature, it's context and relation to other features, I definitely want to talk. I discuss roadmap with almost every user I talk to personally, so just let me know if anyone is interested to have a short call.

I'll make sure I create feature request for things, which are on WWWO post, so we have a place to discuss. But there are many rare requests, which would make forums unusable. Do you think this will work for you guys?

hyperopic

The competitor referred to earlier has thousands of feature requests as well. The key to their system is that the main feature list is updated only by their team, and incoming requests are linked to existing feature requests where appropriate - there is a bit of management involved. I do understand where you are coming from on each customer having very specific processes, but to me that's where flexibility and customisation is key in any product. We have very specific challenges here, but we don't expect everything to match perfectly to our needs, but given our aspirations, we would at least want something that meets industry best practices standards and guidelines.

In response to your question, if the Feature Request forum can be kept up to date and provide an accurate reflection of the major feature requests you are working on, that will be a very good start. I wouldn't expect every request for an extra tick box or something like that to be on the forum, that can stay in whatever internal system you use.

--Richard

pabely

As 12.2 is now Final Release - do we have an updated WWWO for 12.3?