5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2014 2:11 PM by typhoon87

how do you mark a deleted asset

bvondeylen

What is best practice in deleting assets?

I don't want to remove the asset yet, but I do want to mark it as Deleted. We are asked at the end of the year for a list of deleted assets.

• Re: how do you mark a deleted asset
          typhoon87

My recommendation is do not delete assets create a status called deleted or recycled and change the items status. If you are pulling from something like SCCM or LanRev ect you can have an item auto change its status based on if it gets deleted from that system.

bvondeylen

We use Casper. So how would you auto change its status when it gets deleted from Casper? I know Casper will Update WHD when a change is made, but when an item is deleted, how would that update?

I will look into this, but if you know off the top of your head, that would save me some time.

Thank you

typhoon87

If you go to setup --> Assets --> Discovery Connections --> click on your casper connection --> click the "edit" pencil --> the option when assets are removed, you can have it delete, no action (do nothing) or set the status to a custom choice.

We have ours set to out of service. then if we send the unit to the electronics recycler we manually change it to recycled.

We felt this was better because then if the asset is assigned to any tickets all that data stays put vs just deleting it.

bvondeylen

That is what I needed. Thank you for much.

The only Asset Status Type I had was "Deployed".

When I went to add another Asset Status Type, I notice a checkbox option of Retired. What is that suppose to indicate? That the Asset Status Type is "retired" or that the Asset is "retired"?

Anyway, this points me in the correct direction. Thank you

typhoon87

Asset status types is where you create different settings these things can be in. Common status types could be storage, recycled, donated, sold, out of service ect.

The asset type retired means that status is not longer a choice for new assets. So if you go to an asset in the asset tab and go to change the status it is not there. Again this is useful so that instead of deleting it you can retire it and the existing data stays put for possible legacy/reporting reasons.