3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2014 2:35 AM by akhasheni

Network Atlas - abandoned?

akhasheni

Started playing with it, attempting to do a basic network topology diagram...

Looking at threads like Network Atlas - very dissapointed from 2009 and with very little progress, it seems that it has been effectively abandoned. Does this sound right?

Seeing my coworker trying to click on labels on the map and getting nowhere, I tried setting automatic links... and got nowhere. It seems to "stick" in "edit hyperlink" but in properties, it points to localhost and needless to say, it doesn't work on the map. (The icons' links work, the labels - don't, and I can't seem to set them.)

Is there a fix for that other than a Heineken?

Screen Shot 2014-11-06 at 10.56.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-11-06 at 10.57.07 PM.png

• Re: Network Atlas - abandoned?
          mharvey

It does seem like the Network Atlas has been put on the wayside.  However, I've grown accustomed to not linking the labels and just having folks click on the device, or nested map icon.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              designerfx

Wait, people use the actual name of the object as a link? I tend to find that I can link to anything via the map and have no such issues, but I don't rely on the name.

re: atlas on the wayside, more and more things are being linked into it. WPM's data for an example of something done in the last few months.  Atlas isn't going away, it's being enhanced pretty regularly. See:

NPM 10.7 RC1 Now Available

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  akhasheni

Wait, people use the actual name of the object as a link? I tend to find that I can link to anything via the map and have no such issues, but I don't rely on the name.

Amazing, isn't it? Personally, I think it's a sound UI principle: actions should be associated with labels, not LEDs. LEDs are for looking at, not pressing on - in my book. Pretty sure most hardware and software follows it with some notable exceptions (some HP hardware lately).

Bottom line though: if it's possible to associate a link with the label, why doesn't it work? (I know, I know, "create a ticket" - no thanks -  the "150%" charts won't go away despite years of open "tickets".)

Network Atlas "won't go away" but glaring bugs and ancient UI won't either?