This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Add subsequent nodes without full rescan (NTM)

Is there a way to add nodes ad-hoc to a map after the initial scan without rescanning the entire network?

I performed my initial scan on our hybrid Cisco / Brocade network. I had to manually create 98% of the connections (it doesn't seem like NTM works well with the Brocade fdp protocol). I noticed a handful of nodes that were missing from the map due to bad SNMP entries in the configs. I performed a rescan after fixing the configs and it discovered the nodes, but after the update there were many automatic "updates" made to the map (I left the "update map" checkbox unchecked for the devices I already connected on the map). Many nodes that were discovered initially and placed with manual connections were replaced with other nodes although NTM left the manual connections in place (but now connected to the wrong nodes). I ended up having to export the map to Visio and add the nodes there. 

• Guess by the LACK of response, the answer is NO.

Sure would be a NICE feature to add - I have quote a few nodes I want to re-scan, w/o having to rescan the entire network.

• Ericg13

I am brand new to Solarwinds and all of their apps so I have been acclimating to the new environment and I have the same question as you. The only thing I have found to work around this is to edit the map properties.

What I do is:

1. Make initial large scan

2. When I find a switch or an IP I want to add, I click Edit>Edit Map Properties.

3. Go through the same process and usually just add them through free-form IPs and remove all the others that I have scanned.

4. The scan goes through and at the end, I can add the individual ones to the network map already there.

5. Make sure to un-check "Remove from map" for all of the ones that weren't found due to you de-selecting them in the scan properties.

It's probably not the most efficient method but the only thing I have found so far.

• There is an existing feature to get this functionally added to NTM.